+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Bamford for Ward?

Bamford for Ward?

With Jamie Ward off the boil in lots of fans opinions at the moment, does anyone know if Bamford can play as a wide forward like ward, Dawkins and Russell? Or is he like Martin?

Wouldn't be surprised if Bennett or Sammon take ward's place soon if Bamford can't play there, with Johnny injured. Ward for me needs to be dropped.

re: Bamford for Ward?

Here's a twist on it. Maybe Clough knew how to get the best out of players like Ward and did most of the time. Maybe the current management can only do this by big signings and don't have the know how to get the best out of players.

Who knows but is this a pointer and early crack in what lays ahead?

You are right as always.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattea
    Here's a twist on it. Maybe Clough knew how to get the best out of players like Ward and did most of the time. Maybe the current management can only do this by big signings and don't have the know how to get the best out of players.

Who knows but is this a pointer and early crack in what lays ahead?
    Talk to frank he can help with your crack addiction

To be honest I think most players can perform better under certain managers and personalities can clash. It could be under clough he felt like he was the first on the team sheet but under macca he feels he's only a squad player. What u have to remember also he has struggled with injury and he might be still feeling it after a run of back to back games.

I like passing football on the ground but felt under clough it was to predictable and pedestrian and teams had time to defend, so results were inconsistent.

All macca has done is added a few young quality players and a bit more urgency, without stopping the passing football. The result is a lot more goals and a bit more consistency. To me, the next few game are important, as they will tell us whether we can get over a defeat or two after a series of wins.

Fingers crossed!

ssooooooo...ignoring ratty, can bamford play out wide as was asked?

I'm not sure where Bamford will play for us but from what I understand he can play either wide or centrally.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see us alter the formation in the next few matches from time to time. The 4-3-3 has been successful but teams are now very aware of how it works for us and they are looking to counteract it as Wigan did.
    If other teams begin playing like Wigan against us it might be worth shaking up the formation to keep opponents guessing and I have a feeling that Martin could link well with another classy striker like Bamford.

As for Ward, he has had his best goal scoring form under McClaren and prior to Mac's arrival was nowhere near being an automatic starter - In fact he was regularly being rested by the previous regime due to his hamstrings, which in an interview he explained he wasn't happy about but would have to accept.
    He probably just needs a rest as playing in a successful side brings different psychological pressures. In all honesty a few of the players

thats good then if he can play out wide too. Likewise i think martin could be class with a more traditional strike partner, some of martins silky touches wouldn't have looked out of place if he was wearing a blue shirt on sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by triz
    thats good then if he can play out wide too. Likewise i think martin could be class with a more traditional strike partner, some of martins silky touches wouldn't have looked out of place if he was wearing a blue shirt on sunday.
    I fully agree about Martin on Sunday. He is re*****ised at the moment and I feel he could actually do a job in the top division as it stands - especially with a strike partner who can read his deft flicks and clever movement

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)