+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Creeping Americanisation of British English usage.

Quote Originally Posted by ArabianNotts View Post
    One year anniversary.
    3 month anniversary is even worse.

The problem with any kind of analysis of English and its usage is that the language has so many different variations, far beyond simply British and American. Within England alone there are numerous different dialects, and if you throw in accents as well, it presents a huge amount of variation. The language started out as a hybrid anyway, and by Shakespeare's day it had already got a blend of old Germanic, Norman French, Latin, Celtic and Old Norse. In the years since, it's only had more thrown in the blender. Also, there is no standard form of English, so you can't even give a definite definition of what actually IS British English, because people from different areas will all have different ideas of the correct structure and words to use in a sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Pie_Scribe View Post
    The problem with any kind of analysis of English and its usage is that the language has so many different variations, far beyond simply British and American. Within England alone there are numerous different dialects, and if you throw in accents as well, it presents a huge amount of variation. The language started out as a hybrid anyway, and by Shakespeare's day it had already got a blend of old Germanic, Norman French, Latin, Celtic and Old Norse. In the years since, it's only had more thrown in the blender. Also, there is no standard form of English, so you can't even give a definite definition of what actually IS British English, because people from different areas will all have different ideas of the correct structure and words to use in a sentence.
    Yes but wiktionary defines anniversary as

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/anniv...of%20the%20war.

yet people still refer to 3 month anniversaries! That's just stupid use of language.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeekay56 View Post
    From the get go.
    Or as some now say: From the Gecko (what ever that means).

"I'm gonna go ahead and do this...", "...go ahead and do that", "...go ahead and do the other". Never just do this, do that, or do the other, always " I'm gonna go ahead and.."

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    So I take it you're not a go-getter GK?
    What does that even mean.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    "I'm gonna go ahead and do this...", "...go ahead and do that", "...go ahead and do the other". Never just do this, do that, or do the other, always " I'm gonna go ahead and.."
    American = never use one word when you can use two.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Yes but wiktionary defines anniversary as

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/anniv...of%20the%20war.

yet people still refer to 3 month anniversaries! That's just stupid use of language.
    Hi Queenie, what's the weather like over there I am in Brisbane for a week starting tonight and off to the races at Doomben tommorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    Hi Queenie, what's the weather like over there I am in Brisbane for a week starting tonight and off to the races at Doomben tommorrow?
    Its been a cooler summer this year so far. Pretty good weather was a bit of a stinker yesterday but we are in the thick of it now. Have fun at the races me duck. Have to say I never ever been there not a gambling man.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Its been a cooler summer this year so far. Pretty good weather was a bit of a stinker yesterday but we are in the thick of it now. Have fun at the races me duck. Have to say I never ever been there not a gambling man.
    Cheers

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast