+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Subbuteo, Striker and table top games

O/T:- Subbuteo, Striker and table top games

Having followed up on Durham’s Subbuteo comment on another thread it was great to see the posts from others and sharing different games.

I’ve been a Subbuteo nut for as long as I can remember, I built up quite a collection in my younger years 70’s and was devastated when I stupidly left the whole collection at a friends only for them to move out of the area a few weeks later taking my collection with them, never to be seen again.

I’m slowly building that collection back up again and the wife has now been well trained in identify real bargains online. Only this week for my birthday she had found a Leeds team from 70/71 and the joy of seeing what the original owner had done with the box was something I really connected with.

He was obviously a big Leeds fan, at a time when they were the best team in the country with players like Bremner and Charlton etc. He had artistically written the players names inside the box and scribed all sorts of great stuff on the outside.

For me these are real treasures and when I come across items like this I feel a connection with the game and football in general from a time that to me was truly magical.

Myself and Colin Sisson have been thinking about setting up a club if you like that would meet up every one or two months where people can come along and share items from their collections, have a play if they want to but also share other retro games and football collectibles with others.

I realise it’s not everyone’s cup of tea and there are some that just live too far away but if there is anyone who would have an interest in this please let me know and if there’s a big enough uptake I’ll look at what we can organise.

It’s also worth noting that you don’t have to be a subbuteo nerd to get involved, sometimes just getting to meet new people and becoming part of something like this can be a real help especially in a like minded supportive environment.

Anyway, let me know and let’s see if it has any legs.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 03-11-2023 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Added off topic prefix

Just sold my 1978 World Cup Edition subbuteo set with loads of extras, stadium, teams etc. Kept my 70's Notts County and England teams though. I have Super Striker as well with diving goalkeepers

No subbuteo renaissance for me but very fond memories.

I didn't have a huge collection (give or six teams including Notts and Real Sociedad being my favourite two) some open terracing, a few bags if supporters that made Meadow Lane in the mid 2000s look bustling.

I had no time for the pitch and the effort to put on the dining room table, so most of my subbuteo fun came playing on the lounge carpet against myself in some epic battles as a kid.

My best friend back then had more disposable income clearly as he had the pitch perfectly ironed and on plywood in his loft with stadium, floodlights the whole deal. Great times.

I know it was used in a jokey derogatory term earlier but won't hear a bad word against it. They must have sold millions which says it all.

In this same vein was a fan of Test Match (at another friend's house) although the anticipation of playing was usually better than the actual game.

Quote Originally Posted by thefulltenyards View Post
    No subbuteo renaissance for me but very fond memories.

I didn't have a huge collection (give or six teams including Notts and Real Sociedad being my favourite two) some open terracing, a few bags if supporters that made Meadow Lane in the mid 2000s look bustling.

I had no time for the pitch and the effort to put on the dining room table, so most of my subbuteo fun came playing on the lounge carpet against myself in some epic battles as a kid.

My best friend back then had more disposable income clearly as he had the pitch perfectly ironed and on plywood in his loft with stadium, floodlights the whole deal. Great times.

I know it was used in a jokey derogatory term earlier but won't hear a bad word against it. They must have sold millions which says it all.

In this same vein was a fan of Test Match (at another friend's house) although the anticipation of playing was usually better than the actual game.
    Also had Test Match Cricket, with a piece of guttering for the bowler and a hoover for the batmans

Similar to you, i left my collection of teams, lights and score board in a loft when i moved house.

Devastated.

When i was younger my dad wall paper pasted the pitch onto a plywood board. Was amazing.

Definitely up for meet ups and an odd game or 2.

Only got bits and bobs of my original collection left now as all the rest became broken or made into a harvest mice nest one year when they got into my garage!! Remember that the teams with it were Man Utd and Derby and they came with the non diving keepers.
    Also had Super Striker, that was played to death (literally) on the carpet at home. A fair few of those pieces ended up broken from me kneeling on them as a kid. One side had red shirts and white shorts and the other had B&W striped shirts and black shorts, so obviously they won every time.
    I thought Test match cricket was pretty rubbish when I played that.

I was a real devotee of all things Subbuteo. As well as football, initially cardboard followed by plastic, I had table cricket (crap) and table rugby (double crap) .
    I used to play on my own using my left hand on goalie, right hand to flick, I created my own leagues.
    I had over a dozen different sets to represent the teams, including a black and white one of course!
    However my claim to fame was that all my players were numbered. I lived in a “beer off” and we had a combined till and adding machine, which printed receipts. In pre-decimal days, I could print identical sized numbers from 2 to 11, cut them out and with a dab of glue, my teams were all numbered. I was stuffed after 15 Feb 1971 though!
    After years of playing on the floor, I graduated to table-play at Uni, winning a league there.
    Happy days

I had Subbuteo football, with Notts of course. Not sure we ever played it properly and in most games the players ended up in the goal more than the ball did. Many players suffered crush injuries.

Also had Subbuteo cricket.

Had a football game called 'Big League' which we played with a lot more, and another football game which I can't remember what it was called. The pitch was made so that the ball always ended at a player's feet then you flicked a lever with his number on it to kick it.

Then there was the traditional table football - still play that occasionally.

One of the most played though was the cricket game 'Howzat' with two hexagonal dice. Bought it from ex Notts player Bobby Tait at Arnold Sports.

So he sent his doting mother
    up the stairs with the stepladder
    to get the Subbuteo
    out of the loft
    it had all the accessories
    required for that big-match atmosphere
    the crowd and the dugout
    the floodlights too
    and you'd always get palmed off
    with a headless center-forward
    and a goal-keeper with no arms
    and a face like his

and he'd managed to get hold of
    a Dukla-Prague Away Kit
    'cause his uncle owned a sport shop
    and he'd kept it to one side
    and after only five minutes
    you'd be down to ten men
    as hed sent off your right back
    for taking the base from under his left-winger
    come to half-time, you were losing, four-nil
    each and every goal, a hotly disputed penalty
    so you smash up the floodlights
    and the game was abandoned
    and the dog would bark
    and you'd be banned from his house
    and your travelling army
    of synthetic supporters
    would be taken away from you
    and thrown in the bin.

Pretty much summed up my experience of Subbuteo as a kid!

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    I had Subbuteo football, with Notts of course. Not sure we ever played it properly and in most games the players ended up in the goal more than the ball did. Many players suffered crush injuries.

Also had Subbuteo cricket.

One of the most played though was the cricket game 'Howzat' with two hexagonal dice. Bought it from ex Notts player Bobby Tait at Arnold Sports.
    Name:  Owzthat.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  19.9 KB

When I was a kid and a mate came round we'd play Subbuteo in football season and Subbuteo Cricket in the summer. But I also spent hours playing Owzthat, the game in the little blue tin, on my own. I always opened the batting for England and would usually be top scorer (what me cheat? ). Both Subbuteos are long gone but I came across the little blue tin when clearing out some drawers a couple of years ago.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast