+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Government moving the goalposts

Scottish Government moving the goalposts

Today it has been announced by the Scottish Government that they are introducing new rules that will make it harder for areas to drop down to lower tiers of Covid restrictions after lockdown is eased in Scotland.
    The Scottish Government is hoping to return to the levels system in late April.
    The excuse is that this more stringent approach is because of the new faster-spreading variant of the virus.
    This in my opinion is ridiculous.
    What is the point of having mass vaccinations if these ‘half wits’ masquerading as politicians at Holyrood are going to ‘move the goalposts’ to suit their own agenda of trying to control everything we do.
    They would soon change their tune if the furlough ‘gravy train’ handouts from Westminster stopped.
    Then it would be ‘bite on the bullet’ time.
    I think it is ridiculous that the whole of Mainland Scotland is still in Tier 4 because of a higher number of positive Covid-19 cases in Glasgow and surrounding health board areas.
    There should not be a ‘one size fits all’.
    The Covid-19 virus should be left to run its course.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    Today it has been announced by the Scottish Government that they are introducing new rules that will make it harder for areas to drop down to lower tiers of Covid restrictions after lockdown is eased in Scotland.
    The Scottish Government is hoping to return to the levels system in late April.
    The excuse is that this more stringent approach is because of the new faster-spreading variant of the virus.
    This in my opinion is ridiculous.
    What is the point of having mass vaccinations if these ‘half wits’ masquerading as politicians at Holyrood are going to ‘move the goalposts’ to suit their own agenda of trying to control everything we do.
    They would soon change their tune if the furlough ‘gravy train’ handouts from Westminster stopped.
    Then it would be ‘bite on the bullet’ time.
    I think it is ridiculous that the whole of Mainland Scotland is still in Tier 4 because of a higher number of positive Covid-19 cases in Glasgow and surrounding health board areas.
    There should not be a ‘one size fits all’.
    The Covid-19 virus should be left to run its course.
    Tier system for evermore islay, lockdown every winter.

Don't know why folk can't see it.

Unfortunately a huge % of people like living like this....I have been doing my own thing since May.....I just ignore it as best I could.

When guys like Mr Hitchens admit that battle has been lost you just Ken.

It's just starting to dawn on even the optimists that the Scottish adminastration are enjoying doing this and will do it for as long as they can.

Interested to hear Deecoms, Bcram and biffos take on this as they were fairly upbeat even a few months back......not that that's wrong.....it gave me a bit of hope (even though in my heart i didnae really believe it) but I genuinely see none now.

Definitely no upbeat rros pretty downbeat if anything, I haven’t seen it myself so will take islays word for it, to change the basis for moving down tiers now is an absolute joke, with everyone who’s in the vulnerable category now having had the first jab(if they wanted it) we should be starting to move back to normality not putting more obstacles in the way of this, we’ve got to get shops and cafes open soon and pubs etc following at the back of them, most folk I talk to about this have now had it and are going against advice some more than others but most folk seem to be at the the of their tether.

I disagree with islay on this “Westminster handouts” islay I’m in my late 50s and have paid my tax to the British government since I was 16, now I know we have a devolved parliament up here but when I’m asked on any form about my ethnicity I always tick “White British” as that’s what I see myself as so I don’t see this as handouts whatsoever just some of our own cash coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by Biffo_the_Bear View Post
    Definitely no upbeat rros pretty downbeat if anything, I haven’t seen it myself so will take islays word for it, to change the basis for moving down tiers now is an absolute joke, with everyone who’s in the vulnerable category now having had the first jab(if they wanted it) we should be starting to move back to normality not putting more obstacles in the way of this, we’ve got to get shops and cafes open soon and pubs etc following at the back of them, most folk I talk to about this have now had it and are going against advice some more than others but most folk seem to be at the the of their tether.

I disagree with islay on this “Westminster handouts” islay I’m in my late 50s and have paid my tax to the British government since I was 16, now I know we have a devolved parliament up here but when I’m asked on any form about my ethnicity I always tick “White British” as that’s what I see myself as so I don’t see this as handouts whatsoever just some of our own cash coming back.
    Wee bit gutted to hear you are downbeat.

Hopefully the English start forcing Johnson's hand and sturgeon has to follow.

Just sheer weight of numbers in England might do it as Johnson is influenced big time by the polls.

Up here I just don't think we have enough people speaking out and our elderly population seem far too accepting of it.

Booked up for London end of May and if England's open I'll be going no matter what Sturgeon says.

If furlough scheme is extended to end of the year in budget tomorrow we are ****ed as Scottish Govt will then have the resource to keep everyone locked up.

I am still upbeat, I have had my first jab, and expect to receive my second sooner than predicted.
    We continue to hear how many people are taking the vaccine and also how effective the Psizer and Astra vaccines are especially in older groups.
    The government are delighted with the speed and scale of the vaccine program.
    Changing tiers won't make any difference to me.
    On the first lockdown, eg, Monifieth , less than two miles from my house was out of bounds, I just ignored it, no one pulled me up on it, but if they had I would have challenged the rule.
    If we end up in different tiers, whatever they may be, I will challenge the rule if stopped and I won't be paying any fines.
    I worked in industry, starting in the sixties, when we fought for shorter working weeks, sick pay, travel money, dirty money etc.
    We won all of that and much more, which many people take for granted now.
    I have always fought for my rights, and although I am now retired after working for fifty years, I will continue to fight against injustice.

Probably just more fed up we don’t seem to be coming out of this anytime soon than down mentally but thanks for your concern, but it just seems that one day someone comes on tv and gives us a bit hope and u start to think good stuff we’re heading in the right direction then the next day someone else comes on to say the entire opposite.

I hope you’re wrong regarding the furlough scheme but I do fear u could be spot on and I’ve already cancelled a trip down south for this month as nothing open so would be a pointless journey.

Same here deecom had my first jab a while back and due my second one in a couple of weeks

Quote Originally Posted by deecom View Post
    I am still upbeat, I have had my first jab, and expect to receive my second sooner than predicted.
    We continue to hear how many people are taking the vaccine and also how effective the Psizer and Astra vaccines are especially in older groups.
    The government are delighted with the speed and scale of the vaccine program.
    Changing tiers won't make any difference to me.
    On the first lockdown, eg, Monifieth , less than two miles from my house was out of bounds, I just ignored it, no one pulled me up on it, but if they had I would have challenged the rule.
    If we end up in different tiers, whatever they may be, I will challenge the rule if stopped and I won't be paying any fines.
    I worked in industry, starting in the sixties, when we fought for shorter working weeks, sick pay, travel money, dirty money etc.
    We won all of that and much more, which many people take for granted now.
    I have always fought for my rights, and although I am now retired after working for fifty years, I will continue to fight against injustice.
    Good stuff, fingers crossed you are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Biffo_the_Bear View Post
    Probably just more fed up we don’t seem to be coming out of this anytime soon than down mentally but thanks for your concern, but it just seems that one day someone comes on tv and gives us a bit hope and u start to think good stuff we’re heading in the right direction then the next day someone else comes on to say the entire opposite.

I hope you’re wrong regarding the furlough scheme but I do fear u could be spot on and I’ve already cancelled a trip down south for this month as nothing open so would be a pointless journey.

Same here deecom had my first jab a while back and due my second one in a couple of weeks
    4 different administrations pulling in some what different directions dosent help 're message.

Mad science still seems to have the upper hand.

Hoping for some great spring weather to get folk out in their thousands Doon south.

Said a few threads back this maybe a 2 or 3 year battle to end this madness.....it will be worth the fight though.

Like how Deecom fought against injustice I see lockdown as a perverse injustice on the healthy and will argue against it till the coos come home.

I hate having nothing to disagree with in an islay post so I'll just say the motivation for continued lockdown is more about their own image externally than controlling people.

We are being taken for mugs. Am I disappointed or depressed about this? Not in the least. Our politicians are demonstrating on a daily basis that they do not understand the problem, and as a result have built systems that solve the only thing they care about, making sure the NHS is not swamped by covid patients. They and NHS leaders blundered enormously by not dealing with the prospect of a pandemic hitting our shores. They were all guilty and they knew that the only policy that could prevent total meltdown was flattening the curve.

Now they are behind the curve and soon the message that the vaccine actually prevents the extreme effects of covid will be trotted out as a proof that lockdowns are no longer needed. They have brought out mask wearing as an additional measure, using up the medical ones that are stockpiled by the billion.

It depends on vaccinating everyone who is in the vulnerable groups and they will have that done in April. It is a game changing moment and
    I think that the threat of mutations of covid is a final attempt to scare people into compliance. Covid is being cured, people are surviving it, and hospital treatment has changed very significantly from the early days.

I think annual vaccinations for everyone will be the way forward. The cost is tiny compared with lockdowns and the medical profession will get money to make sure our beds per 100000 ratio is improved to bring it up into the top tier.

Just watched the changes in levels. Think this would never have been proposed if there was not a very sound statistical case that Scotland will meet these new levels. Nicola, tough but fair, thanks Scotland for following her leadership and asks the country to vote her back into power. It didn't work for Churchill and it won't work for her IMO.

Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)