+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the Reedtz recruitment model changing?

Is the Reedtz recruitment model changing?

The new signings so far seem to be players with good track records. Would we sign another ML now? Or take a risk on JJ?

Or has realism set in?

My take on it: after 5 years of learning the ropes the Bros are finding their feet, gaining ownership confidence and are learning to trust the team around them a bit more than just looking at stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    The new signings so far seem to be players with good track records. Would we sign another ML now? Or take a risk on JJ?

Or has realism set in?

My take on it: after 5 years of learning the ropes the Bros are finding their feet, gaining ownership confidence and are learning to trust the team around them a bit more than just looking at stats.
    I think it's evolving as they learn more about what's required. It was clear after last year that we needed to bring in players who are proven at this level to sure up our defence, and that's what we've done. But I'm sure they are still scouring the lower leagues for the next Macca as well.

It's all about balance, and I think we seem to have that now with solid L2 pros at a decent age coming in, alongside unearthed gems like Macca and left-field signings like Jatta. It's a really interesting mix.

Ultimately, I think our recruitment model is the same as it's always been under the bros, with the goal being to squeeze as much value out of every decision as possible. But we definitely seem to have learned our lesson from last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post

Or has realism set in?

The signings do have very good stats for last season. I think we would also definitely and should take calculated risks too.
    I think all the signings are extremely sensible, are they getting max value as per their strategy? Time will tell.

I think what’s different is if ML and JJ don’t go it signals our budget has increased and as I’ve said on other threads I honestly look at the league this season and I think the owners think it’s prime opportunity to invest heavier. Last season they could have invested heavy but realistically and odds wise would we have made the top 3, not so sure with those other 3.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    The signings do have very good stats for last season. I think we would also definitely and should take calculated risks too.
    I think all the signings are extremely sensible, are they getting max value as per their strategy? Time will tell.

I think what’s different is if ML and JJ don’t go it signals our budget has increased and as I’ve said on other threads I honestly look at the league this season and I think the owners think it’s prime opportunity to invest heavier. Last season they could have invested heavy but realistically and odds wise would we have made the top 3, not so sure with those other 3.
    Very true. L2 looks much easier this season than last, and there's no reason why we can't compete at the top. Last season was pretty abnormal, with two sides with huge budgets (Wexham, Stockport) and another (Mansfield) who should have been promoted years ago. There's no obvious title contenders this season, but rather a group of teams that could challenge, including us.

How many times do they need to explain it? It's not picking up players from lower leagues that is the core model. It's picking up players that offer more value than what they can be bought for. If the data suggests a league one player can be a monster for us but his club wants rid, we'll sign him. Normally this happens to be that they're in lower leagues because at the time, it would be difficult to lure EFL players at that level to the national league without money, now we're back in the EFL, it's more likely players will drop on the hope we'll go back to their current level and further

I would like to think that a lesson was learnt from last season. The signings so far have been excellent, just a pity that something similar wasn't done last close season but it's the execution of their plan, so crack on Bros! (Perhaps the plan all along was to see what happened with a view to rebuilding the defence this close season?)

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    How many times do they need to explain it? It's not picking up players from lower leagues that is the core model. It's picking up players that offer more value than what they can be bought for. If the data suggests a league one player can be a monster for us but his club wants rid, we'll sign him. Normally this happens to be that they're in lower leagues because at the time, it would be difficult to lure EFL players at that level to the national league without money, now we're back in the EFL, it's more likely players will drop on the hope we'll go back to their current level and further
    This.

You only have to listen to how Montague has described the players when announcing them. It’s statistics based. Macca was no different. His goal scoring stats were off the charts, the calculated risk was whether he could do it in a division above. JJ, again no different. He is proven at a higher level, however, the calculated risk was whether he was over his injuries. In both scenarios it’s an emphatic success.
    The new signings are all statistically strong. All have played well in this division and look to be upgrades on players that have left. I’m not sure we need to look at whether the bros have changed philosophy. They haven’t. They wanted to make the club self sufficient. Things like the paddle courts, The Nest and having another bar at the back of the Kop are all contributing to this. Notts County FC under the Bros is bigger than simply what happens on the pitch. Though they look to be rectifying some glaring deficiencies we had last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    They don't have to explain it. But recent signings have differed. We are signing players that are wanted by other clubs and so we are being more competitive in the market and that is a change. Whether the package, environment, or vision are the lure would be interesting to know. Maybe we are building a reputation as being somewhere good to play for. Maybe the budget is showing that the risk/reward is worth it. Obviously the Bros will be looking at value for money but none of the recent signings can be classed as a risk even if they don't work out.

Or as one poster might say, they've seen that they'll get an easy ride here with our manager so why go somewhere they have to work harder?

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post
    I would like to think that a lesson was learnt from last season. The signings so far have been excellent, just a pity that something similar wasn't done last close season but it's the execution of their plan, so crack on Bros! (Perhaps the plan all along was to see what happened with a view to rebuilding the defence this close season?)
    I think it was the plan tbh. I think with them being analyst they were doing a bit of a test and learn last season. Let’s face it we knew the defence may struggle with the players and the system but not to the extent they did.
    We had a budget around 10-12th so I don’t think they realistically thought we’d be top 3 but a chance of the play offs. This season feels different, they know exactly who can cut it in L2 and have let go those who can’t and seem to be investing heavier now 3 of the big hitters have left. What it also says is they believe in SM, seems to be a lot of positivity from existing and new players about him so maybe he will shine now after the LW hangover and players coming in that he will have been involved in scoping for.

Some good posts here
    What is clear is that we’re fishing in a bigger and better pond now (even landed a bass). We were lucky to get Reeves, but he had to get back to the efl a year later. Maybe none of the recent signings would have come if we were still NL. This is really encouraging

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast