+ Visit Portsmouth FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remembrance

Remembrance

Just a quick note. I read on some posts that we should not be celebrating conflict as we do.

Today we were not celebrating conflict we were remembering those that have given everything to allow us to live as we do.

Let me say just this.

"For an evil man to do evil all it takes is a good man to do nothing !"

We are lucky to live in a free country and have the freedom to make such comments as those I have read today about war. I may not agree with such passivis views but I would die in a ditch to ensure we have the freedom to do just that.

You will find that those in the services do not wish to go to war, do not wish for conflict but thankfully are willing to step up and defend our freedom.

End of rant.

re: Remembrance

I went to the Guildhall this morning to remember those of our armed forces who have died in the line of duty. No other reason

Quote Originally Posted by lovedeanblue
    I went to the Guildhall this morning to remember those of our armed forces who have died in the line of duty. No other reason
    How far back though LDB...just a thought

My Grandad fought in ww1, my old man in ww2. Both survived but they both told me of those who didn't. My old man once asked me to take him to Bampton (Oxon) to view their memorial. There was a on there he had served with. They had gone to their different postings, his mate sadly didn't survive. Loads ofs too on the Glos village memorial from both wars. I have served with, as I'm sure Gun has, some who died in the service of their country. When I was on my first ship (an old Destroyer) I can remember watching a burial at sea of 2 bodies both sewn in hammocks from HMS Eagle, 1966 that was. They died on the way back from a Far East deployment, we got back they didn't sadly. Every time I walk past the FI memorial in Old Portsmouth I pause. There is a on there, who used to cook my scran. Best get on now RIP to them all

Nothing personal LDB,its just that I always wonder why remembrance starts at 1914

Quote Originally Posted by Scoular1
    Nothing personal LDB,its just that I always wonder why remembrance starts at 1914
    Have a look @ this Scoular.

STL - view external link

Very interesting,but doesn't answer my question.
    What about the brave soldiers who lost their lives serving their country in the Boer War,Crimea..Hastings even...was their sacrifice less important

The key word is "World War", the huge loss of life is what caused people to get organized.

So we only remember those who lost their lives in World Wars...I saw many associations marching for Aden,the Falklands ,Northern Ireland even..not to mention Iraq and Afghanistan

Quote Originally Posted by Scoular1
    So we only remember those who lost their lives in World Wars...I saw many associations marching for Aden,the Falklands ,Northern Ireland even..not to mention Iraq and Afghanistan
    No Scoular, mainly since WW1. I'm sure there are memorials to those who died @ say Rourke's Drift etc. But the first proper world war & the vast loss of life moved people to do something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)