+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Mandatory National Services to be brought back in by the Tories

O/T Mandatory National Services to be brought back in by the Tories

This is exceptional news that would go some way to make the youth of today be mature adults while learning a trade/skill.

The scheme would be a voluntary one where those aged 18 could choose between the Armed forces, Police Force or other services. It's not yet been decided how this would be paid or what those that sign up would be paid. All I can say, this is an ace that will get votes, Labour have scoffed at it.

I've always said bring National Conscription back in and have been laughed at. Those going in to service would and could learn a trade that would better their lives.

It will only be a 12 month service but could well encourage those going in to stay on for a longer service. Well done to whoever thought of this. Like I say, payment will be an issue so don't know how it will be funded.
    Last edited by Brin; 25-05-2024 at 09:25 PM.

How can it be Mandatory if it’s Voluntary?

Quote Originally Posted by crookadile View Post
    How can it be Mandatory if it’s Voluntary?
    Voluntary on which service you choose. You won't be forced into one particular service ie armed Forces.

This strikes me as rather daft idea that is intended to grab headlines.

The British Army is so small that it would fit into Old Trafford (front line and support lines - the lot) and is now going to have to find the resources to train a load of conscripts, the majority of whom will clear off when their obligations end.

Ditto the RAF, which is currently losing pilots who are disillusioned at there not being the money or enough serviceable aircraft to allow them to fly very often

The navy, in the meantime, have two aircraft carriers that break down a lot and which cost so much that they don't have the ships to protect and support them or aircraft to fly off them.

If it's about giving kids a trade, how about spending the money on technical education and apprenticeships.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post

The British Army is so small that it would fit into Old Trafford (front line and support lines - the lot) and is now going to have to find the resources to train a load of conscripts, the majority of whom will clear off when their obligations end.

Ditto the RAF, which is currently losing pilots who are disillusioned at there not being the money or enough serviceable aircraft to allow them to fly very often

The navy, in the meantime, have two aircraft carriers that break down a lot and which cost so much that they don't have the ships to protect and support them or aircraft to fly off them.

If it's about giving kids a trade, how about spending the money on technical education and apprenticeships.
    Strikes you as daft because it is daft.

Only an idiot would support it. Mmmm.

Agree 100%.

It's an act of desperation from a bankrupt administration.

In the EU, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Cyprus, Greece, Austria and Switzerland have conscription

So why not us?

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoo View Post
    Strikes you as daft because it is daft.

Only an idiot would support it. Mmmm.
    Idiot here, what’s taken them so long. It’s a Vote winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    This is exceptional news that would go some way to make the youth of today be mature adults while learning a trade/skill.

The scheme would be a voluntary one where those aged 18 could choose between the Armed forces, Police Force or other services. It's not yet been decided how this would be paid or what those that sign up would be paid. All I can say, this is an ace that will get votes, Labour have scoffed at it.

I've always said bring National Conscription back in and have been laughed at. Those going in to service would and could learn a trade that would better their lives.

It will only be a 12 month service but could well encourage those going in to stay on for a longer service. Well done to whoever thought of this. Like I say, payment will be an issue so don't know how it will be funded.
    The funding is there, save the money being paid out to support study of Mickey Mouse degrees that benefit no one except the establishments selling the rubbish.

Kerr I for one concur but how many of today’s youth would turn up voluntarily unless conscripted?

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast