+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gentleman Magpie

Quote Originally Posted by maddogslater View Post
    Good memories, walk up to the Greek cafe outside Vicky centre, cup of tea, football post listen to radio Nottingham till the Yorker opened at six.
    Used to love that cafe!

Quote Originally Posted by forwardmagpie View Post
    Sorry Elite but where is better than Carlton (other than Gedling where I was born)?
    Only Gedling. Carlton is only the second best place.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Only Gedling. Carlton is only the second best place.
    So where is your hood Elite 😏😏

1925 "Liverpool Echo" cartoon depicting our game at Liverpool, 2nd match of the 25/26 season (when we were wearing chevron shirts).

Note the mention of the new offside rule. The average goals scored per match in the top flight went from 2.58 in 1924/25 to 3.69, which did for us as we had the 2nd best defence in the league in 24/25 and then, after the new rule was introduced, got relegated in 25/26.

Lambs cartoon, 19th November 1910, a few months after our first game at Meadow Lane

March 7th 1908, Trent Bridge

So where is your hood Elite 😏😏
    Are you not proud of your birthplace Elite?

Have we got anybody here brought up in The Meadows? Often said to be the reason our support was decimated when it was knocked down and re-built but I'm not sure how true that is. Fword were more local than Notts in that area for a significant period of growing the roots of a support base, so I would guess it was more evenly split in the Meadows than assumed.

I was born on Peel Street close to the city center, I think there was somebody here who lived on Meadow Lane (or their Grandparents/parents did).

Seeing as you're interested, I was born in the bedroom of a council semi situated just before the bakery on the B600 in Watnall.

I've never thought of it in terms of pride or shame, it's just where I was born. I must like the area though, because the four houses I've lived in since have all been within a few miles of there.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Seeing as you're interested, I was born in the bedroom of a council semi situated just before the bakery on the B600 in Watnall.

I've never thought of it in terms of pride or shame, it's just where I was born. I must like the area though, because the four houses I've lived in since have all been within a few miles of there.
    Good sporting area Elite, I played for Hazel Grove Celtic on Titchfield Park and Nabbs Lane FC strangely on Nabbs Lane Park.

A prefab in Gedling for me and I do have a pride in my birthplace and returned to it a few years ago after 30 years away as it is a great community, a group of 15 friends from 50/60 years ago now meet quarterly for a catch up.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast