+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Should he stay or should he go?

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    No. Simply because he was a careless almost laughable appointment. When you are appointing two managers every season for 20 seasons you are bound to get lots that shouldn't have been given any time.
    So the two year rule only applies if you personally think the manager is the right man. I've been saying that for ages!

I don't mind answering your direct questions , always do. Care to answer mine, how long does a chairman need to make a fair decision on a manager?
    It's impossible to put a fixed timescale on it, with Fullarton a prime example as to why. It could be said quite fairly that he wasn't given long enough to show what he was capable of, but Trew had no option but to get rid of him due to the poisonous atmosphere his ludicrous appointment had created around the club. It was obvious that situation couldn't be allowed to continue.

Also how long does a manager need to change the squad, mentality, philosophy etc ?
    It usually takes a season to fully change a squad, but a decent manager can change the mentality and philosophy of the squad from the minute he walks through the door. Nolan is an example of that for us - he inherited a dispirited squad on a run of ten straight defeats, but got them to battle and show pride in the shirt from his very first game. Cotterill is another, an though he had the luxury of the Munto squad he got them playing to their potential right from the start, which the previous managers who had the very same Munto squad failed to do.

Quote Originally Posted by MagpieMike View Post
    I couldn’t disagree more. Ardley has taken on a very poor team, and is gradually shaping a squad capable of promotion and then pushing on from there. He is getting fantastic backing from the owners, and to have gone from the shambles of last summer to narrowly missing out on promotion in a single season is a brilliant achievement. It’s easy to forget how close we came to ceasing to exist, and that was Hardy’s legacy. Anyone who thinks it wouldn’t have happened needs to look at Bury. Ardley is by far the best manager we have had in a very long time. Cotterill was probably the last previous half decent one.
    I suggest you have a look at the division we played in when Ardley took charge and the one we play in next season.

You seem to describe taking us one division lower as "a brilliant achievement", let's just say I see it a little differently! I remember you posting in the relegation season (I think after we had beaten the Stags) that you had no worries about going down, and expected us to finish mid-table.

How did that one turn out?

No Elite, you are missing key points of my posts once again, hopefully accidently.

If the club gave managers longer, Fullarton wouldn't have got the job. No cheap options attempted short term fixes.

It's not about Fullarton not having enough time or the poisonous atmosphere meaning his position was untenable. He wouldn't have been appointed in the first place, the poisonous atmosphere which it certainly was ,was down to his appointment more than his record as manager. My point in a nutshell,he didn't have a chance from the off .

As for how long a manager needs. The transfer windows dictate to a certain degree the timescale. A manager needs a couple of windows for permanent signings , fair enough?

Obviously you need a certain period of time to judge the players in training and in competitive matches to identify weaknesses.

Then it's to slowly get your philosophy across which takes time. Slow burner for many.

Of course managers like Nolan, Cotterill can have an almost instant impact. Nolan a great example
    The new manager effect is common as we all know. It's also often a short term impact. Martin Allen can come into most lower league clubs and get increased effort , better team spirit , togetherness and more organised in the short term. The problems for a lot of these cheerleading, inspirational motivational managers occurs in the medium term when that instant positive impact dies down. When the players have heard the same pre match and HT speeches and they now need a bit more tactically.

Most managers are given 1.5-2.5 season contracts when they sign, there is a clue as to how long they need or should get. How often do manager say Meadow Lane reach the end of their initial contract? The need for talks of an extension. So rare, sadly.

No Elite, you are missing key points of my posts once again, hopefully accidently.

If the club gave managers longer, Fullarton wouldn't have got the job. No cheap options attempted short term fixes.
    I've told you many times before that I'm not a fan of repeated managerial sackings, and I've also told you that the only three managers in the last decade and more that I wanted to be sacked before they actually were are McParland, Fullarton and Ardley. Fullarton for the reasons both of us have already stated, and McParland and Ardley because I didn't think they were capable of getting the best out of the squads at their disposal.

You obviously think he is capable, and MagpieMike seems on the verge of starting a statue fund! I just hope that you're both right.

Obviously think he is capable? Never said that , not once. I think he is capable enough to be given time. If the owners demand promotion this season , his second full season I am in total agreement with them. Not that my view matters only theirs.

You repeatedly are wide of the mark arent you ? You remind me a little of Karl Hawley. Lol.

So in your opinion only 3 of the past 13 managers since 2010 should have been sacked either when they were or before. I

That ratio says it all, as does the number. I bet it's an even worse percentage if we go back further.

After all the words and all the Q&As we both agree, the issue isn't the managers. It's more the management of the managers. The traditional problem of NCFC for the past decade and beyond is at a higher level.

We are on really on a roll here, both agree Hardy was the most to blame for relegation. And both agree that we hire and fire managers far too often, it's our biggest failing of past 2 decades.

This is amazing stuff, now if I can just convince you that each sacking and appointment has a significant detrimental impact on the club at the time and for the future we have completed a 180. Or 360 in Navy's eyes lol

Obviously think he is capable? Never said that , not once.
    Really? Even though (before you probably demand it) I couldn't find those exact words, do you realise that the vast majority of your posts suggest you are Neal Ardley, Neal Ardley's wife, or a very close relative of Neal Ardley?

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I suggest you have a look at the division we played in when Ardley took charge and the one we play in next season.

You seem to describe taking us one division lower as "a brilliant achievement", let's just say I see it a little differently! I remember you posting in the relegation season (I think after we had beaten the Stags) that you had no worries about going down, and expected us to finish mid-table.

How did that one turn out?
    I think 🤔 that’s a very simplistic argument. Like everyone I was gutted when we were relegated. I just don’t think it’s Ardley’s fault. I did think we would be ok last season after Stags and Lincoln, we just couldn’t keep it up. But if you look at the current team it’s a different proposition, and heading in the right direction. The National League is tough to get out of, and I think we’ve had a decent season all things considered.

Quote Originally Posted by MagpieMike View Post
    I couldn’t disagree more. Ardley has taken on a very poor team, and is gradually shaping a squad capable of promotion and then pushing on from there. He is getting fantastic backing from the owners, and to have gone from the shambles of last summer to narrowly missing out on promotion in a single season is a brilliant achievement. It’s easy to forget how close we came to ceasing to exist, and that was Hardy’s legacy. Anyone who thinks it wouldn’t have happened needs to look at Bury. Ardley is by far the best manager we have had in a very long time. Cotterill was probably the last previous half decent one.
    Ar

Your delusion shows no bounds- Ardley by far the best manager we had in a long Time, is a statement beyond belief. Go away think about what nonsense you have just said

- i think by far the worst manger we had in a long time- and the stats prove it for last season , one of the lowest ppg for any notts manager
    Then saying Cotterill was half decent, he was streets ahead of Ardley you fool .
    i can think of many better managers than ardley, allen, monitz, curle, nolan, kewell, in fact nearly all of them , in fact even gudjon thordeson was better, he kept notts in league 2

Ardley took on a team , that were not in the bottom 2 , and was heavily backed by hardy, he was also backed heavily again by the reedtz brothers, yet still failed, because he can not stop teams with a high press, and a busy midfield, and till he can we are going no where

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Really? Even though (before you probably demand it) I couldn't find those exact words, do you realise that the vast majority of your posts suggest you are Neal Ardley, Neal Ardley's wife, or a very close relative of Neal Ardley?
    I'm confident only a simpleton would come to that conclusion. Bless em. If you go beyond the tabloid headlines and actually read all of my posts you will see it's not that black and white.

I can only guess that the posters with a strong agenda against the latest Notts manager who have clearly displayed a biased negative view all season , have that view if anyone has a counter to the pitchfork mob.

To help you out going forward Lex, think of me as less Pro-Ardley but more Anti- ridiculous NCM posts.

Thankfully the number of these laughable biased posts,where the manager somehow gets blamed for everything thanks to nothing more than rumour and innuendo, reduced massively during the months of Jan-Mar.

Obviously as soon as we lost to Harrogate there was a spike, as the usual suspects either re-emerged from their caves to scream for change to owners who have publicly stated they don't want to make a change. D'oh!

If you still unsure what I mean by ridiculous laughable posts, look at the title of this very thread and more importantly the timing!

Only NCM could have a thread about whether the manager should stay or go right before the club made their first appearance at Wembley for about 25 years in the National League Play Off final.

Now that is black humour at its finest, and a clear reminder to all that you can't and shouldn't take anything on NCM seriously.

Now get searching for me saying that, and don't forget all those posters who think Ardley was completely blameless for relegation.

I mean, let's be fair. Ardley has had his successes this season:

Name:  harrogate.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  20.3 KB

Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast