+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: What is it with Americans and guns!

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    You mean KGB news?

I know they like to peddle pro Russian news. I wonder where they get their funding from...
    Not your wallet. I learned from that video that your govenment issued 466,000 visas last year for international students to come in the UK with their families! What on earth??? Did the BBC tell you about that?

Quote Originally Posted by Robus View Post
    Not your wallet. I learned from that video that your govenment issued 466,000 visas last year for international students to come in the UK with their families! What on earth??? Did the BBC tell you about that?
    Nice way to shift focus away from the original point. Something you've done throughout this whole thread.

No need to check who funds our news sources then, in your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    Nice way to shift focus away from the original point. Something you've done throughout this whole thread.

No need to check who funds our news sources then, in your opinion.
    It is my point: Harold didn't ask his jarls to surrender their bearded axes before inviting in the Danes and the Normans, but that is what your leaders have done to you.
    Last edited by Robus; 04-06-2022 at 04:34 PM.

There are many more Americans being killed by guns each day than Ukranians.

Interesting claim. I wonder if it's true. Forget the distorted "gun deaths" stats that conflate homicide and suicide. Setting suicides apart, you get about 15,000 annual homicides in the US. Let's say 80% were done by firearm: 12,000 / 365 = 33 daily gun homicides.

Aren't they topping that in Ukraine? I just sent them $44 billion.

The former Soviet republics have strict gun laws and homicide rates comparable or higher than the US. Ukraine's pre-war homicide rate was almost identical to that of the US (6.2 v 6.3 per 100,000), despite the fact that Americans have many guns and Ukrainians have few of them.

Then the Russians invaded and the government started handing out automatic weapons to all takers.

Bumbling Biden lecturing the country on gun control lost control when leaving Afghanistan where over 300,000 weapons of guns, bombs and missiles plus billions of rounds of ammunition were left behind

Beyond bumbling. It's dementia and everyone knows it. The mainstream media will not call it out. That's the same media that let him get away with campaigning from his basement, and that quashed the story of Hunter's laptop prior to the 2020 election.

If you haven't followed the details of the laptop story, here's the punchline: The President of the United States accepted bribes from companies in Ukraine and China during the time that he was Vice-President. On his first day in office, he canceled the investigation into the Wuhan lab leak theory among other things. The POTUS is compromised and corrupt. Is he a traitor?

Interesting claim. I wonder if it's true. Forget the distorted "gun deaths" stats that conflate homicide and suicide. Setting suicides apart, you get about 15,000 annual homicides in the US. Let's say 80% were done by firearm: 12,000 / 365 = 33 daily gun homicides.

Aren't they topping that in Ukraine? I just sent them $44 billion.

The former Soviet republics have strict gun laws and homicide rates comparable or higher than the US. Ukraine's pre-war homicide rate was almost identical to that of the US (6.2 v 6.3 per 100,000), despite the fact that Americans have many guns and Ukrainians have few of them.

Then the Russians invaded and the government started handing out automatic weapons to all takers.
    Why would you set suicide rates apart? Gun control would undoubtedly have saved some of those people.

The former Soviet republics have comparable homicide rates? As you mention the US is 6.2,
    Belarus is 2.4
    Kazakhstan is 3.2
    Azerbaijan is 2.3
    Latvia is 2.6
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._homicide_rate

Ukraine is 6.2 as you rightly say, but lets not forget there has been conflict in Ukraine for a few years. This link is 2017 figures. In 2019, 13,000 people were estimated to have died in this unofficial war since it began in 2014.

So essentially in 2017, the US had a larger homicide rate than a country that was at war. Not sure how you can use those figures to justify anything.

1. We exclude suicides for a couple of reasons. First, suicide and homicide are different actions from the perspective of public policy. The state has some obligation to protect you from your neighbor rather than from yourself. This goes back to our Anglo-Saxon traditions. Second, nobody believes that gun control affects suicides anyway. Suicidal men will choose a gun over some other method if a gun is available. I'm cool with that.

2. Fair point. Excepting Russia and Ukraine, the intentional homicide rates in the former Soviet republics are lower than in the US. If I'm reading correctly the definition of "intentional homicide" excludes deaths in war. It might include civil disturbances. Russia's was higher: 7.3.

For comparison: Jamaica, 44.7, El Salvador, 37.2, Honduras, 36.3--where another "migrant caravan" of 30,000 or so is forming right now, and will assault and breech our border in a few week's time.
    Last edited by Robus; 08-06-2022 at 03:53 PM.

Second, nobody believes that gun control affects suicides anyway. Suicidal men will choose a gun over some other method if a gun is available. I'm cool with that.
    I'm no expert but I'm not sure I agree with that, I think its much harder to commit suicide if there isn't a gun available and nearby. And in the time it takes to use another method, that person might have had a change of heart. I just think law of averages says that suicide rate would be higher in countries where guns are readily available.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)