+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Tims And They Banners The Other Night.

Quote Originally Posted by Deebunked View Post
    Ahhhh a romantacist. I can respect that, after all the Union of the crowns and the later political Union has done nothing for any of the constituent countries 😂

In Scotland particularly, both enlightenment and Industrial Revolution added to the world not just the UK, both after the Union. Scots were more respected all over the world than ever before. Really worth reading about if you ever have a chance.
    I wouldn’t have put the enlightenment down as a success of the union, it was a European wide period of enlightenment rather than limited to the UK.

I’ve read Smith, Hume, Ferguson, Reid etc as I find their philosophical theory interesting and got hooked and had to dig deeper after reading Broadies summary

Quote Originally Posted by dayster View Post
    I wouldn’t have put the enlightenment down as a success of the union, it was a European wide period of enlightenment rather than limited to the UK.

I’ve read Smith, Hume, Ferguson, Reid etc as I find their philosophical theory interesting and got hooked and had to dig deeper after reading Broadies summary
    Any chapters on respect?

Quote Originally Posted by dayster View Post

I would tend to agree on your European wide comment to a point. However it happened after the Union, and so did the Industrial Revolution. As a result many many Scot's made their mark on the world. Quite successfully and within the Union. Todays think tends to put good things as Scottish and bad as Union. Plain ridiculous and not addressing real issues
    Last edited by Deebunked; 27-09-2022 at 07:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deebunked View Post

Todays think tends to put good things as Scottish and bad as Union. Plain ridiculous and not addressing real issues
    Its a nationalist trait the world over.

Exceptionalism.

We’re better than them.

Quote Originally Posted by noahrab View Post
    Its a nationalist trait the world over.

Exceptionalism.

We’re better than them.
    Tonight’s Disclosure Scotland programme on BBC1 Scotland about the Calmac Ferries fiasco should make interesting viewing.
    The SNP supporters will not be keen to watch this as they cannot blame the Westminster Government for this fiasco which lies ‘fairly and squarely’ with Alex Salmond, Nicola Sturgeon, Derek McKay and the Scottish Government civil servants employed by CMAL who are part of the Scottish Government owned Transport Scotland.
    Five years ago I received a tip off about the Calmac Ferries sitting in Ferguson’s shipyard which were over a year behind schedule at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    tonight’s disclosure scotland programme on bbc1 scotland about the calmac ferries fiasco should make interesting viewing.
    The snp supporters will not be keen to watch this as they cannot blame the westminster government for this fiasco which lies ‘fairly and squarely’ with alex salmond, nicola sturgeon, derek mckay and the scottish government civil servants employed by cmal who are part of the scottish government owned transport scotland.
    Five years ago i received a tip off about the calmac ferries sitting in ferguson’s shipyard which were over a year behind schedule at that time.
    Oh they can and will.

My paper has a front page story about police being called in to investigate possible wrong doing. Islay, I hope you have your facts prepared to allow you to help with police enquiries! Securing some kind of shakeup at zcalmac and the cosy relationship they have with the SNP would be a benefit to us all.

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    My paper has a front page story about police being called in to investigate possible wrong doing. Islay, I hope you have your facts prepared to allow you to help with police enquiries! Securing some kind of shakeup at zcalmac and the cosy relationship they have with the SNP would be a benefit to us all.
    The information released in the Disclosure Scotland programme was far worse than my tip off.
    CMAL who are Scottish Government owned were hell bent on Ferguson’s Shipyard being awarded the contract even if it meant breaking the rules and possibly EU procurement rules to award the contract to Ferguson’s who were bottom of the list out of the ten ship building yards who entered round 1 of the tendering process.
    The SNP politicians have been strangely quiet about this despite the EU being their ‘holy grail’.
    Robbie Drummond the Chief Executive of the Scottish Government owned Calmac Ferries Limited should in my opinion also be considering his position. The programme revealed that technical documents produced by the Calmac technical department for the requirements of the new ferries were submitted almost ‘word for word’ including spelling mistakes and grammatical errors by Ferguson’s Shipyard when they submitted their tender for the two new ferries contract but the two other shipyards tendering for this contract never received the same technical documents from Calmac Ferries Limited.
    The programme highlighted Kevin Hobbs the Chief Executive of CMAL being economical with the truth when he appeared in front a committee of MSPS regarding the Calmac ferries being built at Ferguson’s Shipyard.
    This does not surprise me about Kevin Hobbs as Kevin Hobbs gave some ‘duff’ information in reply to a question submitted by a member of the public (not me as I knew the correct answer) to the second webinar meeting regarding the new Islay Ferry (which is now two ferries) in March 2021.
    I promptly sent an email to CMAL highlighting that Kevin Hobbs had given the wrong information in reply to a question and I enclosed the correct answer.
    The original question and answer were removed from the final transcript of all the Questions and Answers supplied by ‘experts’ employed by CMAL and Calmac which were available to read on the CMAL website.
    Last edited by islaydarkblue; 28-09-2022 at 07:05 PM.

Further to my above post.
    It was stated in last night’s programme that it appeared that the Technical report produced by the Calmac technical department was then ‘copied and pasted’ as Ferguson’s were able to submit the technical report with their tender bid including the spelling and grammatical errors being the same in both reports.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    Further to my above post.
    It was stated in last night’s programme that it appeared that the Technical report produced by the Calmac technical department was then ‘copied and pasted’ as Ferguson’s were able to submit the technical report with their tender bid including the spelling and grammatical errors being the same in both reports.
    Seems pretty damning to me Islay. We just have no effective oversight of anything that holyrood does. Local opinion is constsntly over ruled in planning matters and the Conservative, Labour and Lib Dem MSP's who actually represent more Scots just seem unable to work to gether to show up the failings. I suppose in part it will be because they were part of the committees who approved the decisions. Maybe a different way of reporting the committee decisions could highlight how the SNP and Greens simply steamroller their views. Perhaps full voting figures are available? Be ironic if the other parties actually agreed with the decisions taken! Maybe it's not just a simple case of SNP incompetence and more a failure of Holyrood.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)