+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ashley Statement

Ashley Statement

Here is what Ashley has had to say about money etc.

Fair point that we can't compete at the minute with clubs who got that first tranche of new money last season. However all the Sports Direct stuff round the stadium could be got rid off and sold to a company who will pay for the right to do so. Even if Sports Direct do pay, i imagine it's a nominal amount.

Mike Ashley has made a rare public statement about Newcastle United’s spending power in this summer’s transfer window.

The Magpies, who are currently looking at bringing in players on loan, have spent just £31million during the current trading period with Ashley opening up about Rafa Benitez’s transfer kitty.

When asked how much money would give to Benitez, he said: “Not enough - very simple.

“And Rafa knows that.

“It’s not a secret, every penny the club generates he can have but it won’t generate enough.

“It’s Newcastle United, it does not have a £40million a year stadium naming rights deal.

“I don’t want fans to watch this and think that’s great he’s getting £150million in the morning - he’s not.

Speaking to Sky Sports , with Ashley not renowned for holding open Press conferences, the Toon tycoon said: “I’m nowhere near wealthy enough to compete with clubs like Man City. I don’t have the ability to write a cheque for £200m.”

And while Ashley is classed as a billionaire the Sports Direct magnate went on to add: “In theory I’m a multi-billionaire, but in reality my wealth is like wallpaper - it’s all in Sports Direct shares.

“I don’t have that cash in the bank.

“People on the outside looking in think in wealth terms those funds are in the bank.

“They’re not. I am nowhere near wealthy enough. Basically, it’s a wealthy individual taking on what is the equivalent of countries. I cannot and I will not”

Ashley also confirmed that Benitez does have final say on transfers and that managing director Lee Charnley answers to the former Real Madrid boss.

Ashley said: “Rafa makes all the final decisions, Lee answers to Rafa - we’re crystal clear.

“He makes decisions on players out, players in.

“But he has to do it with the money the club have.”

The club made the recruitment process clearer earlier in the summer when parting company with chief scout Graham Carr.

Carr had previously held an influential position in the boardroom and enjoyed power in certain situations over the manager or head coach.

He can't be much fairer than that in what he's saying.
    Wrong post code, like I said.
    We just can't go gung-ho like the big hitters and the London clubs.

We either beg for a endless cash on the hip,no matter where it comes from syndicate/consortium/Sheikh or Chinese/ Russian/Qatar squillionaire, or we rely on Rafa and co SORT of accepting the hand that is dealt, with potential cash in the coffers in realistic terms to twist with.

Hate Ashley or dislike him, or have little time of him if people wish, but nobody can or could expect him to compete with what he's up against.
    Put Newcastle United somewhere near the centre of London and we would be singing a different transfer tune.

The north east is looked upon as second rate by the south and most people actually think the south (especially London) is actually England.
    We are near lepers.

I don't expect him to compete with Man City

But

I expect him to compete with at least one team in this division!!!!!!!!!

Ok we know it doesn't grow on trees
    But how come Brighton can do it and we can't?

Quote Originally Posted by tooslomofo View Post

But

What are Brighton doing that we aren't?

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    What are Brighton doing that we aren't?
    Spent £16 million today i think.

Quote Originally Posted by tooslomofo View Post

But

This is all clubs spending so far. We're not bottom by a long distance.

Seven of the teams below us have premiership teams and can afford to only buy 1 or 2 players
    We have a championship squad and need to upgrade our team
    We can't afford not to buy

fact is we badly need a striker

we can gamble and go into the season without one with a good chance we will fail miserably and end up relegated again.

or we can borrow 20 or 30 mill, against the coming tv money, - a small percentage of it is all , buy the striker we need and have a far greater chance of staying up and reaping the rewards next season again.

what would you rather do ??? - but ashley won't sanction that. pfft

Fair comments from Ash.

The really sad thing is that the competition is more about money...

However, Leicester proved that it's possible. With a good coach at the helm. And the good news is that we have one.

We can't even afford the cart never mind the fecking horse this year

So we've got a multi billionaire owner who's pheckin skint. Why doesn't he just sell up and put us all out of our misery if he hadn't given all the deadwood 5 year lucrative contracts we wouldn't be in the state we're in.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)