+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wycombe In Red - or How we are perceived in the game.

Wycombe In Red - or How we are perceived in the game.

Right, I’m going to have another go at this as I think it’s an interesting topic point, despite my ham-fisted attempt in another thread and the response that drew.

Wycombe in red, wow what hornets nest that opened up. In my head “has everyone forgotten that we are Wycombe in red, that’s how everyone else sees us” was the sentiment and missing that last part out was my mistake. I made that comment simply because the many posts on the post match thread about their over the top tactics struck me as being identical to the comments I always seem to read on other team forums about us, which is completely at odds with our own criticism of our ‘too nice’ manager and ‘too nice’ team.

Clearly fans always have a bias towards their own side, it would be weird if they didn’t. Some WWFC fans commented about the irony of ‘Rotherham fans complaining’, while completely missing what their team and management were doing. One comment that “the physio situation was a bit extreme even for us” shows that not all are like that however.

Derby in particular last season, even if you forget the Covid angle, were particularly scathing about our filthy, diving, time-wasting tactics (I disagree by the way) and maybe we are all prone to see things the opposition does as being much worse or more blatant than a neutral would?

Wycombe fans feel aggrieved about Ollie throwing himself about and Smithy strong-arming their man every time he went near him, even though we see it the opposite way. Maybe it’s a case of both teams going at each other in the same way, but we only choose to see one side? Not with things like the physio being deaf and blind of course, there’s no mistaking that, but just in the general game-play during the match.

I’m proud of the way we stood up to it and gave as good as we got. I’m proud that we earned the right to play some good football after an awful first half that wouldn’t have looked out of place on the Somme. That’s why I said the game went exactly as I expected between two similar (not identical) teams.

Wood and Smith in particular take no prisoners and aren’t afraid to use their strength, but they aren’t all that our game is about. I think every team needs steel, at any level, that much is obvious, but I also believe fans get way to precious about it being used against them and supporters giving credit for a strong opposition, rather than dismissing them as agricultural or dirty, can be quite rare.

Blatant cheating is another matter entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaufighter View Post

I always seem to read on other team forums about us, which is completely at odds with our own criticism of our ‘too nice’ manager and ‘too nice’ team. .
    On that myth that people like to use to berate Warne with we are currently 21st out of 24 in the discipline table.

with only Gillingham, Burton and Shrewsbury worse than us.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/spor...3426100?page=6

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post
    On that myth that people like to use to berate Warne with we are currently 21st out of 24 in the discipline table.

buddy, looking at our disciplinary record, half if not most of our yellows have been for petulant nothing fouls so I would NOT rate us as an industrial dirty side at all. Look at Mattock's 4 yellows, nothing synical in them at all. Smudge has had a rough deal with his yellows but he is a big unit so refs blame him.

Harding's sending off shouldn't have counted as his first yellow was a joke.

I’ll ask it on this thread too.

Is pretending to be injured and trying to get a player sent off not cheating ?

How is that to be applauded?

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket rocket View Post

Feigning injury, banging your hand on the floor looking to be writhing in pain, looking up to see if the Ref has fallen for your theatricals and given the opposing player a yellow card then swiftly getting to your feet is DOWN AND OUT BLATANT CHEATING OF THE HIGHEST LEVEL and totally uncalled for. Calls himself a professional, the ferkin idiot. If Ainsworth thinks that’s okay then he’s one sad person.

Answered on first thread. Don’t think acknowledging it, is applauding it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    buddy, looking at our disciplinary record, half if not most of our yellows have been for petulant nothing fouls so I would NOT rate us as an industrial dirty side at all. Look at Mattock's 4 yellows, nothing synical in them at all. Smudge has had a rough deal with his yellows but he is a big unit so refs blame him.

Harding's sending off shouldn't have counted as his first yellow was a joke.
    I would imagine every other club will say the same about soft yellows and reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post

Yep, good, nice human beings

But that’s assuming an extreme position.

Take the Wiles foul for example v Wycombe, the lunge at him was dangerous, it caught him a glancing blow, but could have ended his career. Yet Ben had a minimum of treatment and the offending player got a yellow and stayed on the pitch.

Had Ben done a Wycombe and writhed in agony beating the turf then a red card might have appeared. Against 10 men we could have gone on to win. A position where the extra 2 points might mean a big financial difference at the end of the season.

That’s the point I’m trying to make.
    You can’t compare us to Wycombe imo they cheat I don’t think k we do it or would under Warne.
    I thought they defended well and have decent players. I don’t look down on them I just think the levels they went to imo are horrible to watch and is just wrong.
    I couldn’t watch that every week

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast