+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Wooton

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    Agree 100%. Not mobile enough, doesn't run the channels. no movement across the back 4. Need a livewire centre forward. Not just todays game as already said on a fred earlier this year I would let him go
    So you don't want us to play a big/target hold up man next season at all??!?! Just two mobile live wire forwards instead? Maybe play a Dennis and Knowles type partnership? They are mobile and run the back 4.

Scoring nearly 20 goals both seasons for a player who is ***** for relieving pressure on the team and offering aerial presence , and good hold up play that allows us get up the pitch throughout the game.

I honestly never expected to read calls to get rid of Wootton. Didn't hear anything after the Chesterfield game , I guess that timing would have been bad.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    So you don't want us to play a big/target hold up man next season at all??!?! Just two mobile live wire forwards instead? Maybe play a Dennis and Knowles type partnership? They are mobile and run the back 4.

Scoring nearly 20 goals both seasons for a player who is ***** for relieving pressure on the team and offering aerial presence , and good hold up play that allows us get up the pitch throughout the game.

I honestly never expected to read calls to get rid of Wootton. Didn't hear anything after the Chesterfield game , I guess that timing would have been bad.
    You can get a target man that can run. A Dave Regis type player. Don't always need target players upfront, defenders hate pace as most are bread n butter centre halves in this league. Never been a fan of Wootton tbh
    Hold up play??? Must have blinked

Completely agree, unbelievable comments, must be all on sailor juice

You can get a target man that can run. A Dave Regis type player. Don't always need target players upfront, defenders hate pace as most are bread n butter centre halves in this league. Never been a fan of Wootton tbh
    Could not agree with you more regarding the fact that defenders hate attackers with pace. However that is not Kyle’s game. Nevertheless for a big man I think his hold up play is great and one from which others with speed can then benefit. His goals ratio is v good and, at 24, is still learning. I believe that he is under contract until the end of next season and, with a fully fit Cal Roberts and, hopefully, RR available then I am already looking forward to next season. He missed some chances yesterday, including a header which I would have expected him to dispatch, but the two headers he scored at home v King’s Lynn shows what he can do. As others have alluded to earlier he will need help to share the goal scoring burden but he would, for me, be one of the first names on the team sheet.

I think you've blinked and missed all his goals this season and last

Can you offer some Notts example of effective target man who can run since 1991? That's 30 years ago so you should have no problem.

Naturally I'm all for upgrading the quality of the players for next season but Wootton isn't one of the players I'd want us to replace. He's wayyyyyy down the queue

Can you offer some Notts example of effective target man who can run since 1991? That's 30 years ago so you should have no problem.

Naturally I'm all for upgrading the quality of the players for next season but Wootton isn't one of the players I'd want us to replace. He's wayyyyyy down the queue
    What is a target man? 6ft plus who you pump the ball up to?, cos we aren't playing that style of footy

We haven't had one, Lee Hughes would be the nearest.
    How many goals has he scored from corners free kicks, balls crossed into the box?

Wooton has his role to play and is deffo an improving player. If you look at his target man skills now as compared to when he first arrived they are much improved. Our biggest mistake was not replacing ''like for as near to like'', as possible when Dennis and Thomas left. We've asked an awful lot of him this season and only signed bit part players to help him along.

Someone who is a physical presence up front , someone who caused problems to the opposing defenders and not because of pace. Someone who is strong, play comfortably with their back to goal without being easily disposed of the ball. Someone who doesn't go missing and is always an out ball if the team is struggling to get up the pitch.

No idea how many he's scored from corners free kicks, balls crossed into the box? I do know how many he's scored overall so something has been working.

I also don't know how many times he's cleared the danger with his head when defending corners and free kicks from the opposition.

If IB doesn't think Kyle suits his style of football then he will surely get rid but I can't see it happening at all. Even if he wants to go down a slightly different route and style next season you need alternatives the much talked about Plan B on here.

Being a target man isn't only about being tall and winning headers, if much rather the ball be played up to Wootton at chest height or below. If you don't have strength (Knowles), the ability to play with your back to goal (Dennis) then you better be the NL Ajax side of days gone by. The ball won't stick and will just keep coming back and we will be an even smaller side when defending corners.

We've had loads of 6 foot + strikers in the past who we would pump the ball long too (shudder) too many to mention but were they mobile and did they score goals? Nope.

On Wootton - it's all about player development.
    S****horpe let him go for a reason but he's got his career on track at Notts. What's the goal output - 13 last season, 17 this? Not bad and trending in the right direction.

But whether or not he's the answer for us depends on his season by season development. We need him to keep on working on his game and getting better and at 24 there's every chance his best is yet to come.

To mention one area of improvement needed. How many times have we seen headed chances fly anywhere but the direction of the goal? He can't score the goals Ellis scores or the one Rodrigues got yesterday. This needs hours and hours of practice (even with inflatables some of the time to save his brain cells!). Turning and running the channels are other areas going on what other posters are saying

He seems like a great bloke and to like the club so Kyle is one we have to put faith in I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayeayeskipper View Post
    Apart from miss one of the easiest chances you'll ever see. Donkey.
    He speaks excedingly well of you too.
    If you don't like get off the Ride nobody is forcing you to stay.😡😡

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast