+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T:- Impressed with the leadership

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePass View Post
    Typical labour losing comment, I expected no more. I just knew Jezza and Diane would have this sorted by now, shame on you Boris.
    In the past 24 hours I've noticed a distinct difference between the tone and approach of Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell. McDonnell (in the interviews I've seen) has adopted a relatively statesmanlike national unity-type stance and moderated his political comment, while Corbyn has been quite sneering and surly. I don't know if it's an intentional "good cop, bad cop" strategy or just a straight difference in how they believe they should approach the issue, but McDonnell has looked the more accomplished.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    In the past 24 hours I've noticed a distinct difference between the tone and approach of Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell. McDonnell (in the interviews I've seen) has adopted a relatively statesmanlike national unity-type stance and moderated his political comment, while Corbyn has been quite sneering and surly. I don't know if it's an intentional "good cop, bad cop" strategy or just a straight difference in how they believe they should approach the issue, but McDonnell has looked the more accomplished.
    Oh my god, you actually listen to a devout Marxist who wants the overthrow of Capitalism, may I suggest you ring your doctor immediately, you need medical attention.

Oh my god, you actually listen to a devout Marxist who wants the overthrow of Capitalism, may I suggest you ring your doctor immediately, you need medical attention.
    I listen to everyone.

I'm a Tory voter as I'm sure you know, but that doesn't stop me watching what opposition politicians do and say as a matter of interest, and if I think they're good performers I'll say so even if I don't agree with them.

For example I've already said on other threads that I think Lisa Nandy has by far the most potential of all the Labour leadership contenders. It doesn't mean I'll vote for her to be Prime Minister though.

Rishi Sunak is rightly attracting praise for his recent performances for the Conservatives, and not just from Tory supporters.

I've noticed this too and agree that McDonnell has appeared impressively constructive.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    I've noticed this too and agree that McDonnell has appeared impressively constructive.

OMG even Swale, who I thought was semi intelligent has been seduced by the anti British dark side, we have no hope with these young uns..

OMG even Swale, who I thought was semi intelligent has been seduced by the anti British dark side, we have no hope with these young uns..
    Haha. No. I'm merely stating that he wasn't as obstructive and annoying as I expected, which I considered to be a positive situation.

That is probably bought about because they are in that group of the over 70's or very close to it and anticipate that a change of attitude or outlook will ensure they manage to receive the appropriate treatment, whatever that might be, I suspect.

I think Jonathan Ashworth has been brilliant , supportive, but lots of valid questions, and interventions. Corbyn is just a stage prop now.

Quote Originally Posted by Notsohumblepie View Post
    I think Jonathan Ashworth has been brilliant , supportive, but lots of valid questions, and interventions. Corbyn is just a stage prop now.
    Yes, his political 'stock' has definitely risen and McDonnell has struck the right tone, while Corbyn has had a bit of a 'mare.

A smart politician should see a situation like this as an opportunity rather than a threat, especially if they are in opposition, because the Government will ship most if not all the blame that's going while an astute opponent will tread the line between statesmanlike support in the interests of national unity, whilst still throwing in enough subtle barbs to score a point here and there.

Regardless of which Government was in power I think it's better to be dealing with an issue like this just after an election rather than just before, because it means the governing politicians are more likely to follow the expert advice even if it means being unpopular or being seen to change direction (the dreaded U-turn!). If this had been towards the end of a Government's time in office you might see short-term political considerations overriding evolving scientific ones more often, which could be problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by Notsohumblepie View Post
    sadly, Ashworth is another ditherer