+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hitzlsperger

Hitzlsperger

Brave guy.
    The first generation of openly gay footballers are going to have it tough as the first generation of black footballers did but they will be leading the way for those who follow. Good luck to him and hopefully others will now feel that they can be open too.

re: Hitzlsperger

Part of me thinks this shouldn't be a story but unfortunately homophobia is rife in society and not just in football meaning it is. I'm glad he has done it and I hope it will inspire others to be open and honest, just a shame he waited until retirement.
    Reading the full interview in the guardian it came across that it was a non issue in the changing room which is encouraging.

Great post Tony, to be honest I don't think other footballers will care if a team mate is gay, the people who will make a fuss will be the knuckle draggers who use to taunt( and still do to a lesser degree) our black footballers .

Quote Originally Posted by scum_triumphant
    Part of me thinks this shouldn't be a story but unfortunately homophobia is rife in society and not just in football meaning it is. I'm glad he has done it and I hope it will inspire others to be open and honest, just a shame he waited until retirement.
    Reading the full interview in the guardian it came across that it was a non issue in the changing room which is encouraging.
    I wouldn't expect it to be an issue with players Scum, the problem will be supporters of opposing teams. The first generation will receive dogs abuse. I remember the early eighties when I first started watching football regularly. Black players would be abused as a matter of course and even though I believe we have moved on as a society, I can't see it being much better at first. Given time it will get better but the first active players to come out as openly gay will be very brave indeed.

His best position is in the hole, behind the striker...

Quote Originally Posted by millmoormagic
    His best position is in the hole, behind the striker...
    Puft!! ... thought everyone new that!! ;-D

They shouldn't have to come out and broadcast it if they're gay but shouldn't feel that they have to hide it either.

There's still some narrow minded people out there but I think most of us wouldn't bat an eyelid.

Who cares if he is gay or not?

I get changed in a communal gym changing room. Do I have to get everyone's ***uality verified before I change into my swimwear? No.

Is being gay catching? No.

If you had a son and he came out as gay would he cease to be your son? I hope your answer is no.

Quote Originally Posted by Heman
    Who cares if he is gay or not?

I get changed in a communal gym changing room. Do I have to get everyone's ***uality verified before I change into my swimwear? No.

Is being gay catching? No.

If you had a son and he came out as gay would he cease to be your son? I hope your answer is no.
    I agree 100% but it isn't about that. Every footballer who comes out as gay makes it easier for gay footballers in the future. Fans will be the last to accept the situation, but they will, in time.

Quote Originally Posted by scum_triumphant
    Quite right. It's actually sad it should be a story but hey, listen to the abuse dished out by overweight clods in the crowd without having this to jump on and it is clear why players don't do this.

As others have said,it shouldn't matter one way or the other and there shouldn't be a need to declare anything.

Hopefully these stories will stop being news at some point but I can't see it in the near future.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast