+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Birmingham City Post Match Thoughts

Birmingham City Post Match Thoughts

Well the final score was better than the first 25 minutes suggested it might be but was that us improving or was it the top of the league taking their foot off the pedal? Seven games in, 1 win, 6 points and in the relegation zone. It would seem that some of the jury have already made up their minds despite not yet hearing all the '10 game' evidence.

Thoughts on today's events?

He’s signed a load of dross. The SE effect. Pathetic

Never wanted Steve Evans back but didn’t expect things to be as bad as they are. Bottom 4 already! How can we have 4 strikers on at the end with little chance of any of them scoring. How was Humphries taken off, probably our best defender. Powell should have started. Ok so Birmingham were expected to win. The big man said that himself before the game. Extraordinary thing to say to build confidence in the team.

So much for the Froggy Theory of The Bigger They Are...

Second most difficult game of the season, but a disappointing lack of class from the Millers. Sloppy in so many areas, but not helped by two players, Tiehi and Wilkes, not 'turning up'.

It will be interesting to see what the Evans Fan Club have to say.

What time does the boxing start?

Well, we briefly bucked the yo-yo team tag, season before last.
    I suspect the string has well and truly snapped now.

At least we drew the 2nd half 0-0, as Paul Ince might have said.

Regarding the game, we lost that in the 1st half and down to terrible team selection leaving us only two in midfield, it improved in the second half because we added a body into midfield. However if they had needed a goal you always felt they could get one. As I said last week we are not a good side and certainly not a team. Too many players playing for themselves or just not interested. Evans talks about the Rotherham way, well we are not seeing that.

Hugill is awful, he shouldn't be anywhere near the first team, we need him out to free up his very large wage to strengthen in January, make it clear to him that he won't play again and to find another club.I know that sounds strong but we need the money, TS has made it clear that we are sticking to the financial plan and the money from transfers are for balancing the books, not to be spent on players.

I think the next 3 games are very critical playing teams at the bottom and then Reading. That takes us to the 10 games and if we are still at 1 point a game then we are in real problems with 20% of the season gone. We keep getting the comments we will get better, well we can't get much worse. That is all speculation about future performances the facts are:- less than a point a game, in 21st place, we are currently in a relegation battle. We were easily knocked out of the cup by a L2 team and have only kept one clean sheet. We are not in a good place and I suspect TS is starting to sweat a little.
    Last edited by Brin; Yesterday at 04:26 PM.

Only to be expected with a bunch of free transfers and a manager that can’t be bothered to get if his arse to motivate the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Derbymiller View Post
    Regarding the game, we lost that in the 1st half and down to terrible team selection leaving us only two in midfield, it improved in the second half because we added a body into midfield. However if they had needed a goal you always felt they could get one. As I said last week we are not a good side and certainly not a team. Too many players playing for themselves or just not interested. Evans talks about the Rotherham way, well we are not seeing that.

Hugill is awful, he shouldn't be anywhere near the first team, we need him out to free up his very large wage to strengthen in January, make it clear to him that he won't play again and to find another club.I know that sounds strong but we need the money, TS has made it clear that we are sticking to the financial plan and the money from transfers are for balancing the books, not to be spent on players.

I think the next 3 games are very critical playing teams at the bottom and then Reading. That takes us to the 10 games and if we are still at 1 point a game then we are in real problems with 20% of the season gone. We keep getting the comments we will get better, well we can't get much worse. That is all speculation about future performances the facts are:- less than a point a game, in 21st place, we are currently in a relegation battle. We were easily knocked out of the cup by a L2 team and have only kept one clean sheet. We are not in a good place and I suspect TS is starting to sweat a little.
    Pretty much what I was going to post Derby. I have been disciplined on waiting 10 games to have an objective view so the next 3 games are really going to tell us where we are at. Shrewsbury,Cambridge and Reading. A minimum of 7 points and our 2 year wait for an away win HAS to be the only thing that would even start the journey to thinking that this could be a half decent season.If not then all the audacious comments and salesman clap trap from Evans is going to make us a laughing stock. What about all the slagging off of past managers? Has everyone forgot?

No qualms about the result as I posted early in the week what they would do to us. Actually I'm glad they never came out of second gear in the second half to add to our minus goal difference.

THAT, was a football team we saw from Birmingham today and yes, it's all about the money, oh and a good Manager. They will walk the league make no bones about that if they all keep fit etc.

Evans - tactics? What does he do knowing who we were up against today? He got it all wrong starting with Philips. I now finally hope he's seen enough to see he needs to now bring Dawson in. Philips totally lacks the ability to command his area, flaps at crosses, slow to release the ball having possession thus slowly our progression. Then to top it all when some goon in the North Stand gave him grief when the half time whistle was sounded, he turned, stared and then gestured to the fan to come down and join him at th side of the West Stand to sort it out......tut tut tut. A professional player would have just picked up his towel and water bottle and just gone to the tunnel.

Five at the back? Just totally invited Birmingham to steam roll though our two man midfield and dominate the game coming forward. Had to feel for Odoffin as Tiehi ran around like a headless chicken and don't get me started with Wilks, what a damn awful game he had but, was it his fault playing in a three up front with Nombe/JCH? Yep, awful tactics, not brave enough to have a go at them probably with a 4-4 2. I still think we'd have lost but it wouldn't have looked as bad had he not chosen that set up.

Why did Evans leave it so long before he decided to change anything...70+ minutes....never going to work against a slick well oiled machine that was Birmingham City. I suppose we now regroup and........mmmmmmm.....???????

NB. Oh, and can someone in charge tell Clark - Harris to leave the free kicks alone....he's crap at taking them and being ball greedy doesn't help anyone!
    Last edited by Brin; Yesterday at 04:45 PM.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast