+ Visit Southampton FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why the weakened team?

Why the weakened team?

Safe in the league and the only chance to win some silverware.
    I know you're used to winning nothing but c'mon you must be a tad miffed?
    With this year's current draw seeing a couple of top 4 sides out, this was a major chance. :-(

re: Why the weakened team?

Quote Originally Posted by theyak2
    Safe in the league and the only chance to win some silverware.
    I know you're used to winning nothing but c'mon you must be a tad miffed?
    With this year's current draw seeing a couple of top 4 sides out, this was a major chance. :-(

Being miffed doesn't even half cover how i feel, i felt the same after we lost to Sunderland in the other cup, and yet another golden opportunity wasted.

Poch made it clear that he doesn't want us in the Europa league, so i guess he didn't want us to get there by winning the cup.

Either way i'm not impressed, but having said that there's not going to be a mutiny from me, and bring on the next game.:/

Fair play Tumbles

Just put on another thread, if MP is so anti the Europa Cup, for the way it ruins the season for so many teams in it, then win a place in it, then refuse to enter.

If the Europa Cup hadn't been designed to allow Champions League teams to drop into it, after failure in their own competition, there would probably be no need to start playing the qualifying games, etc, so early in the season.

Bring back the Cup Winners Cup, stop the bail out for Champions League teams and the, maybe, clubs might take cups more seriously.

The only club I feared, in the cup, was Chelsea, so now they're out, I'm seriously peed off. Will be even more so if Sunderland get a plum home draw against the outsiders.
    We coulda been contenders!

Next year I hope fans treat the cup games with the same disdain as MP and let them play in front of an empty stadium, or let the public watch for free.
    Today was an insult to the paying public.

The 800 fans that made the long journey should be refunded all costs of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by souths1
    Next year I hope fans treat the cup games with the same disdain as MP and let them play in front of an empty stadium, or let the public watch for free.
    Today was an insult to the paying public.
    Next season I think we know for sure so buyer beware for cup games. I agree with you, and btw I'm sad about that, because I love cup competitions.

Quote Originally Posted by CostaBaz
    Just put on another thread, if MP is so anti the Europa Cup, for the way it ruins the season for so many teams in it, then win a place in it, then refuse to enter.

If the Europa Cup hadn't been designed to allow Champions League teams to drop into it, after failure in their own competition, there would probably be no need to start playing the qualifying games, etc, so early in the season.

Bring back the Cup Winners Cup, stop the bail out for Champions League teams and the, maybe, clubs might take cups more seriously.

The only club I feared, in the cup, was Chelsea, so now they're out, I'm seriously peed off. Will be even more so if Sunderland get a plum home draw against the outsiders.
    We coulda been contenders!
    Agree with that. I thought a full strength Scum could actually go all the way. So i'm happy. Pompey win at home and Soton out of the cup. Nice.

Something is wrong here with the clubs thinking. Will MP also turn down the chance to finish 6th on the basis that 6th comes with a spot in the Europa league?

Quote Originally Posted by st_bangkok
    Something is wrong here with the clubs thinking. Will MP also turn down the chance to finish 6th on the basis that 6th comes with a spot in the Europa league?
    That's a great point. It doesn't add up at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast