+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Crewe Alexander Post Match Thoughts

Most teams in this division will smash Crewe ...we limped to a 1-1 ...very hard to watch

Quote Originally Posted by MillersTime View Post
    Perhaps Mattock and Bola were both injured?
    Just someone tell me what did Mattock & Bola contribute to our performance I couldn't see anything. I've said this before Wood he's played central cause of his lack of pace to play wide so basically carrying him.

Quote Originally Posted by gm_gm View Post
    Most teams in this division will smash Crewe ...we limped to a 1-1 ...very hard to watch
    Yep, they were dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Yes, that’s probably why.

No obvious other reason why you would take off a left footed defender and bring on a right footed one.
    My thinking. If it were tactical it would be a pretty bemusing decision so surely has to be because of an injury. Plus Bola does seem to pick up a knock or two (early days I know) so.

Quote Originally Posted by gru View Post
    Just someone tell me what did Mattock & Bola contribute to our performance I couldn't see anything. I've said this before Wood he's played central cause of his lack of pace to play wide so basically carrying him.
    Lets make a deal. I'll answer this as soon as you answer those 3 questions I asked you. Fair?

Other than Rathbone who was outstanding, Mattock and Bola were as ordinary as the rest. Got to be an injury based decision to take them off at halftime

Quote Originally Posted by MillersTime View Post
    I'll keep it simple again. Straight questions for straight answers.

What did Wood do wrong today?
    What did Bola do wrong today?
    What did Mattock do wrong today?

I'll leave the others mentioned for now. Although, fantastic resurrection from Ferguson. From a player who should have retired a couple of weeks back to a good signing now, he has changed your mind.
    Wood he's left sided but now with his lack of pace can't play him wide so he's not in the side on merit. Bola not quick enough so can't go on the outside he's not a wing back going forward in fact I didn't see getting back much either. Mattock apart from one cross to me he wasn't in the game.

I can't believe some of the comments on here!
    The midfield was excellent today and we should have been out of sight by half time.
    Of course the usual moaners blame the manager for, in their opinion, making the wrong substitutions so perhaps they know for sure that Mattock and Bola weren't injured. I doubt if they do though.
    At the start of the season some also said, and I quote "Ladapo will score for fun in this league." Really? His workrate and technique are questionable to say the least. Air shots and blasting over the bar are his speciality and he probably went to the same finishing school as Kyle Vassell.
    I'd rather see Kayode on the bench than him, he may have a bit to learn but his application is much better than Ladapo's.

Poor sides coming to NYS will be buoyed by the fact that we can't seem to finish so much as a sentence at home and that they'll be gifted a near freebie at some point in the game

A Championship midfield with L2 striker scoring ability?

Wood he's left sided but now with his lack of pace can't play him wide so he's not in the side on merit. Bola not quick enough so can't go on the outside he's not a wing back going forward in fact I didn't see getting back much either. Mattock apart from one cross to me he wasn't in the game.
    So you couldn't actually say one thing that Wood did wrong today? You just don't like his lack of pace.
    Bola went on the outside numerous times, put in some balls and played it back for Mattock to put in a devilish ball from which Grigg could have scored. This was from Bola attacking and drawing a man away. Didn't see much going back because we dominated.
    As a centre half I'm glad Mattock wasn't in the game. I would rather that then a CB being busy, wouldn't you? He put in the aforementioned cross and linked up all half with Bola and other players due to his good technique on the ball. Linking up instead of hoofing.

Those 3 players you couldn't actually pick any points as to what they did wrong. Not one thing. Says it all.

Now, for what Bola and Mattock brought to our performance. Balance. Both are left footers and are therefore naturally comfortable on that side. Considering the amount of square pegs in round holes we have had I think it helps us immeasurably in simply being a balanced side. Both Mattock and Bola look for passes on the floor first, their first thought isn't hoof it long. They are both technically sound and can link up with each other and other players, especially the midfield. Bola is a big, strong lad, doesn't get knocked off the ball easily and, for me, gets forward well in support also.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast