+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Euros

Quote Originally Posted by KemptownMag View Post
    I was a student in Leningrad during the 1970 World Cup.
    In those days they played 3-4 games each day, all kicking off at the same time.
    Russian TV would show one game live, then the other games straight afterwards in full.
    There was no internet and no mobile phones of course, so no way of finding out the scores without watching the games - at least not in the good old USSR. There were no "expert" panels in between games and no flashing up of scores along the bottom of the screen.

So we would sit watching football for six hours at a stretch until the early hours.
    Loved every minute of it.
    Nowadays - not so much.
    That’s interesting - did you actually study there or just happened to be there during the WC?

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    That’s interesting - did you actually study there or just happened to be there during the WC?
    The 1970 World Cup was in Mexico.
    I did a degree in German and Russian, so was at the University of Leningrad as part of my course.

We were there in the summer and it was a scorcher.
    Our accommodation was in one of those trade union holiday hotels on the beach.
    Came back to UK with a real suntan.
    People would ask where I got the tan.
    Tell them "Russia" and they would wet themselves - "No, really, where did you go?"

At that time the Soviet Government was trying to crack down on alcoholism, so they shut all but a couple of bars in the city. Massive queues to get in, but as soon as the Russians in the queue heard us speaking English they would insist we be put to the front. And of course they, as our best mates, would accompany us! We hardly ever had to pay for a drink during our time there mind.

Stupid, self-defeating policy. Many just made their own vodka - samogon - which was bloody lethal.
    Others would wait outside an off licence for someone else to come along. Then they would put their money together for a bottle or two and just get totally pissed and pass out on the street.
    If the local plod tried to move them on, a whole crowd would appear and chase the rozzers away. (Then ask if there was anything left in the bottle!).

Had a great time there.

I imagine separating a Russian from his vodka would be akin to separating a Scotsman from his whisky.

I worked for a Russian company for 15 years.
    Those guys are serious drinkers.
    We used to have a stand at trade shows and the hospitality room there saw some awesome booze ups.
    Starting at 8am on the vodka requires an iron constitution.

A few times I was invited to people's flats for "breakfast"
    The table would be absolutely covered in all kinds of meat, fish, you name it.
    And a bottle of brandy of course, just to warm up for the day!

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    I imagine separating a Russian from his vodka would be akin to separating a Scotsman from his whisky.

I couldn't think of a better comparison.

My brother worked in St. Petersburgh for a few years as a superintendent for a company who was building a ship there. They used to have daily meetings in the main office at 7am every morning and everyone was knocking back the vodka even that early. He would use the local buses to get to and from his hotel and was amazed at how many drunks there were, they would finish off the bottle but were always very careful to not damage the bottle and place them alongside the walls. When my brother asked why they do this he was told they leave the bottles for the homeless kids to pick up and get money for them.

Quote Originally Posted by KemptownMag View Post
    I worked for a Russian company for 15 years.
    Those guys are serious drinkers.
    We used to have a stand at trade shows and the hospitality room there saw some awesome booze ups.
    Starting at 8am on the vodka requires an iron constitution.

A few times I was invited to people's flats for "breakfast"
    The table would be absolutely covered in all kinds of meat, fish, you name it.
    And a bottle of brandy of course, just to warm up for the day!
    I was once invited for breakfast to a Danish neighbor of my mother’s. It was Gammel Dansk and oysters - there might have been other food but I can’t remember!

Finland have never been in euros or world cup before so I will be watching…

Quote Originally Posted by Cannylad View Post
    My brother worked in St. Petersburgh for a few years as a superintendent for a company who was building a ship there. They used to have daily meetings in the main office at 7am every morning and everyone was knocking back the vodka even that early. He would use the local buses to get to and from his hotel and was amazed at how many drunks there were, they would finish off the bottle but were always very careful to not damage the bottle and place them alongside the walls. When my brother asked why they do this he was told they leave the bottles for the homeless kids to pick up and get money for them.
    I can well believe it.
    Every year when I worked for the Russian company all of us involved in the company's shipping business used to meet up for a few days in Odessa port, supposedly to discuss the latest developments in transport etc.
    We had a really flash office and the local manager was a football fanatic.
    The tradition was that each visitor would bring the scarf of his local team and these were hung all round the offices.

Every day we had breakfast and lunch in the office.
    Russian hospitality is famous - tables are covered buffer-style in every kind of food and it just goes on forever.
    So breakfast was like you said - 7am vodka, brandy and whisky was swallowed like there was no tomorrow.

I believe that Russia has one of the lowest life expectancies for men in the developed world. Wonder why?

Quote Originally Posted by liikape View Post
    Finland have never been in euros or world cup before so I will be watching…
    Is that right? Well that's fantastic for you, man...I hope they do you proud.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)