+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Where's This Going ?

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Bill

I'd like to think that we'd both agree that the ownership are in football to make money and this isn't a hobby for them .

The general rule of thumb to make money from football club ownership is at the point of sale .

That requires the club to be more valuable than what it was when it was purchased .

To keep the club in the position it was when it was purchased from Patrick Cryne adds no value to it what's so ever , this isn't like buying a house and sitting on it for five years and it's value grows because of economics , it's a totally different concept .

To make that business more attractive to potential purchases it has to grow .

Three off the bat examples are from our old fourth division days in the 70's , Brentford , Swansea and Watford who are significantly bigger clubs today than what they were in the mid 70's , all three have similar sized fan bases to ourselves .

With respect your own philosophy would stagnate the club by simply just going along in a straight line , " oh well at least we have a club to support " .

That's totally fine under a local owner , a fan ownership model , the custodian approach but we aren't owned by such a group we are owned by a consortium who are here to make money from the club .

It's a risk and reward industry , speculate to accumulate , there is no other way .

There are varying degrees of the risk granted , the S6 approach was perhaps the riskiest approach possible which isn't to be confused with sensible investment and where I feel your argument falls short .

The club simply has to grow for the owners to make a profit and if they lose then so do we as fans .

Your philosophy makes the club worth exactly the same amount of money as it was 3 years ago which doesn't reconcile with why the owners are here .

You've added a few caveats to me what I've not even said.I've never said "well we've at least got a club to support"I like most supporters want the club to progress but the way i want it to succeed is by standing on its own 2 feet.The days of grocers,butchers and corner shop owners are gone.I reckon around 80% of clubs are now owned by consortiums and large corperate companies.In my opinion the club can succeed but it might take longer than some are prepared to wait.I've more faith in our owners policy than others who shove 50-100 million but when things go wrong its the club and its supporters who pay the price.The owners like any other owners don't want to lose money so your right. The alternative to losing money is to make money and I don't see that as a problem.
    Looking at our t6ransfer dealings since they took over I can't see where they've made a penny yet indeed due to the pandemic they;ve most likely had to top up the budget.We've invested in the squad and turned down offers for our biggest assets(and earners) in Woodrow and Mowett,thats 2 things that some doubters thought wouldn't happen and beat the club up for but they kept to there word and supported there manager.I would imagine turning 0ver a million pound down when theres no incomings would have tested a lot of other clubs.Anyway in a nutshell these are good and interesting times to be a Barnsley fan and long may it continue.

Quote Originally Posted by EthelRed View Post
    Are you comfortable with the threat to move home games away from the town?
    No I'm not comfortable with the threat of moving home games,but I didn't take it as a threat.

Quote Originally Posted by EastStandRed View Post
    If certain posters disagree with you Bill it doesn’t mean you’ve been shot down in flames it just means some have a different opinion . Fair do’s to you, you always stick by your opinions. Owners get judged on their decisions , plenty slagged off the Crynes and Dennis at times. You don’t have to be on one side or the other. Each decision deserves its own scrutiny and judgement separately for me.
    I think you'll find I was shot down in flames by a few posters at times even ridiculed.Some of the said posters are now more reasoned in there posts but I put that down to the fact the team are winning.

Call a truce on this please , opinions differ , accept that what you may think ? Some have an alternative view , personally I'm dissapointed at the Covid response from Animal , probably tongue in cheek , it came across wrong , and i can see why SB responded like he did , it's not like him at all , nor Animal , Respect the Covid Messages , what ever Val did in his previous job , he was wrong , let's move on

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    I think they have told us.
    The famous - we arnt going to go crazy.
    Which they haven’t.
    Building steadily brick by brick.
    I can nearly guarantee that next season will be better than this one.

But I do think the directors of the club have been surprising by this season.
    They wanted to get to 50 points and be secure.
    They expected (IMO) to be lower mid table.
    Hence Val continually talking about the 50 points - it seems he has been given that target this season.
    That’s not going to happen now - we are set to be just outside or within the top 6 by the end of the season.

The January 2021 was a watershed moment.
    Proof if proof was needed that the directors WILL NOT SELL at every opportunity.
    However - if an offer comes in that they just can’t turn down - then yes, that player will be sold.
    But clearly - like all businesses - the more money the owners make the more money will be invested.
    Result of that is Barnsley Football Club goes from strength to strength.
    Nudge

Nothing crazy isn't a strategy and neither does it tell me what the ambitions are for the club .

Your also not taking in to account that our players may want to move for more money or simply to a club they feel has more ambition , whilst they give this club everything on the park they are also playing for themselves too so whilst the club may well want to keep them here the players may have other ideas .

As Pass says we could easily lose four or five players in the summer , it's happened before and it's a massive task to rebuild from that position as Daniel Stendel found out .

The club would then go back to where it was 12 months ago most likely with Val in despair .

Another thing to consider is the growing list of clubs who are using this strategy now , the new Sunderland owners just announced that's the way they are now going to operate .

It will obviously be more difficult to recruit the type of players we do if there is more competition for their signatures .

The team could quite easily be unrecognisable from the one we see today on the opening day of next season .

Unless the ownership are prepared to engage with the fans on what their ambition are then I'm afraid I fall short of high fiving Conway and co .

Quote Originally Posted by bill46 View Post
    You've added a few caveats to me what I've not even said.I've never said "well we've at least got a club to support"I like most supporters want the club to progress but the way i want it to succeed is by standing on its own 2 feet.The days of grocers,butchers and corner shop owners are gone.I reckon around 80% of clubs are now owned by consortiums and large corperate companies.In my opinion the club can succeed but it might take longer than some are prepared to wait.I've more faith in our owners policy than others who shove 50-100 million but when things go wrong its the club and its supporters who pay the price.The owners like any other owners don't want to lose money so your right. The alternative to losing money is to make money and I don't see that as a problem.
    Looking at our t6ransfer dealings since they took over I can't see where they've made a penny yet indeed due to the pandemic they;ve most likely had to top up the budget.We've invested in the squad and turned down offers for our biggest assets(and earners) in Woodrow and Mowett,thats 2 things that some doubters thought wouldn't happen and beat the club up for but they kept to there word and supported there manager.I would imagine turning 0ver a million pound down when theres no incomings would have tested a lot of other clubs.Anyway in a nutshell these are good and interesting times to be a Barnsley fan and long may it continue.
    Bill

When did I say throw £100m at the club ?

I said sensible investment in to the team to build on what we've achieved so far this season .

Did you ever imagine Leicester City would be one of the top four clubs in the PL ?

They've achieved it with sensible investment .

Your strategy is similar to Newcastle United who have an owner that's led to huge stagnation of the business and now can't sell the club because it's not worth the money he thinks it is .

Hey Roma kid lol, am I missing summat here ?. I dont understand whats been said, and why its been taken offensively either.
    Thats why I tried to keep this thread on track again today by talking about how well I think we're doing. I actually try to stay away if I can, from talking about the owners.

Quote Originally Posted by bill46 View Post
    No I'm not comfortable with the threat of moving home games,but I didn't take it as a threat.
    So moving the club to Lancashire or recently Rotherham isn't a threat Bill .

What is it then ?

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Hey Roma kid lol, am I missing summat here ?. I dont understand whats been said, and why its been taken offensively either.
    Thats why I tried to keep this thread on track again today by talking about how well I think we're doing. I actually try to stay away if I can, from talking about the owners.
    Shut thi oyle up then !!

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    Shut thi oyle up then !!
    No sir/senor, I will NOT shut up.
    Nahh then mate lets talk Italiano, that will really confuse em all wont it lol.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast