+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Jacob Gratton

Jacob Gratton

Young Jacob Gratton has decided to sign with Creation Sports Management

He’s not even out of academy and has got a agent

Do you think it’s good for young lads to have a agent before they get into first team? I don’t club will have to pay agent fees for a player who’s not in first team. I bet he’s cut loose at end of his contract

An agent can't take anything from a player until they sign a pro contract. Doesn't stop loads of them playing young footballer lottery.

In my opinion the lads should stay well clear and take advice from the PFA if they're in an academy. The PFA will even negotiate a 1st or 2nd contract for a small fee.

Unfortunately coaches and agents don't leave it alone. From 16yo (and younger) young lads and their parents get approached and most get signed up. Promise of 'free' boots, event tickets generally persuade them to sign up.

I'm aware of one young local lad who has been approached by around 10 agents in the last year. His parents are having none of it. The kid is nowhere near getting offered a contract by his club.

As you say most will drop out by the time they're 20. When they do, the agent disappears into the sunset.

Didn't we have a young lad who had an agent a few years ago,thought he was a super star & finished up nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoo View Post
    An agent can't take anything from a player until they sign a pro contract. Doesn't stop loads of them playing young footballer lottery.
    Yes they can’t take from a player but does this stop them from asking the club to pay his fee? I seem to remember TS telling a agent where to go when agent told him to pay his fee or player don't sign (wasn’t a young lad tho)