+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: New Head Football Scout Needed

New Head Football Scout Needed

At a recent Q & A Football Dinner with our manager Alan Stubbs, a question was asked `Who is the new Chief Scout to take Gee Evans place?` Alan Stubbs replied `Me`! I now have had time to digest this, and I feel the poor chap needs help on this front.
    He is taking it all on his broad shoulders, the job is too much for him to be a Manager and Scout, it sounds very amateurish to me!

Quote Originally Posted by ravingred View Post
    At a recent Q & A Football Dinner with our manager Alan Stubbs, a question was asked `Who is the new Chief Scout to take Gee Evans place?` Alan Stubbs replied `Me`! I now have had time to digest this, and I feel the poor chap needs help on this front.
    He is taking it all on his broad shoulders, the job is too much for him to be a Manager and Scout, it sounds very amateurish to me!
    "Amateurish" is exactly right. We have a chairman who reacts to pressure by walking out of games, waving his arms about and holding counsel with passers-by in the car park. The club is a shambles from top to bottom.

I've been thinking about this situation as well.
    Gee Evans, whose title was Head of Recruitment, left the club suddenly and without explanation in the middle of the transfer window which seemed an incredibly strange move when the manager is in the middle of a rebuilding process.
    No appointment has been made to replace him and our recruitment process seems chaotic to say the least.
    Surely Alan Stubbs can't be serious about him having to do the scouting as well as managing the team. If it's true then there's no wonder we are struggling on a number of fronts.
    Amateurish doesn't cover it!

Ronnie Moore always used to say he wouldn't sign a player unless either him or John Breckin had seen them play at least 3 times.

Fully agree a detailed scouting network is needed to identify targets, but in my view the manager should direct the network on what is required and to have the final say who is signed.

Get the facts first before jumping in with insults.

I'm sure we will get one in eventually, Stubbs can't have time for that surely.
    I would like to see an extra fitness coach coming in, a young one that's up to date with the latest technology would be ideal