+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Walsall Ratings

Quote Originally Posted by Lullapie View Post
    All this talk, you can't get away from a good goalkeeper. They inspire confidence in their defence, which in turn, makes the defence play better.
    Additionally I think we missed a trick not going for Jamie Grimes and tempting him away from Chesterfield in the close season. He's a born leader and gets the best out of those around him. He's a bit like Steve Blatherwick, a Nottinghamshire lad who was always 100% reliable. Notts lost Blatherwick to Forest, then he ended up at Chesterfield and he always came back to haunt Notts when we played Chesterfield.

Anyway bring in a quality goalkeeper and things will look better - that would be more cost effective than changing the whole back line.
    Taking your post at it's fundamental level I agree with you that we are desperate for a controlling figure in the defence (be that the keeper or an outfield player). People have said Cameron is a leader! is he bolloxs! I haven't seen anyone in that back line screaming at others and telling/directing them. We need a voice, a loud one!

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post
    Taking your post at it's fundamental level I agree with you that we are desperate for a controlling figure in the defence (be that the keeper or an outfield player). People have said Cameron is a leader! is he bolloxs! I haven't seen anyone in that back line screaming at others and telling/directing them. We need a voice, a loud one!
    You mean a "George Smith"!

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    You mean a "George Smith"!
    My hero.

Bit off topic but Stockport lost at home to Aldershot tonight, their having an atrocious run of form at the mo, shows it can happen to anyone.

I was saying the same last year even though we had the 2nd best GA which should have been better considering how little the opposition had the ball. Now against better quality forwards they're being found out and already conceeded more than last season and one of the worst in the league and we're not even half way through!! Cameron is NOT a captain, never has been. He can be a decent defender but please can we have a more vocal captain and a decent keeper.

For many of the great teams, people normally remember the good goalkeepers. If I say Manchester United in the 1990s - Peter Schmeichel. Liverpool in the 1970s - Ray Clemence. Linby Athletic in the 1990s they had Micky Dove and don't forget Shilton at Forest.

Yes some anoraks out there can remember who played in front of them, but unless you closely followed the teams, it was the goalkeepers you always remember.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    Bit off topic but Stockport lost at home to Aldershot tonight, their having an atrocious run of form at the mo, shows it can happen to anyone.
    Olly Scott - second from the left. Looks like a 'Scott' we have.

Name:  _132047431_gettyimages-1853153159.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  59.7 KB

One of their best-performing players, Louie Barry (on loan from Villa - sounds a bit like a budding Jack Grealish), got injured at the end of October and is out for three months. I’d be surprised if that hasn’t impacted them.

Sounds like our game against Stockport will be a battle between two out of form teams…

Stockport County boss Dave Challinor told BBC Radio Manchester:

"I don't feel sorry for what happened because I've been managing for 14 years and I can count on one hand the times I've been embarrassed by my team's performance and tonight is one of them.

"That was nowhere near good enough. It's a huge worry and huge concern because we've got a big three weeks ahead of us with five games against, without being disrespectful, better sides than Aldershot, before we can bring in bodies.

"Based on what I've seen tonight, we need to bring in plenty of bodies."
    Last edited by nw6pie; 14-12-2023 at 06:01 AM.

I totally agree. We don't seem to have any big personalities at the back, nor do we have a commanding keeper. Nobody inspires confidence.

That Josh Stokes who ‘Shots signed looks a great find, I think he’s only 19 and will be a real talent.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast