+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chocolate Concrete and other school meal marvels

Chocolate Concrete and other school meal marvels

Does anyone remember chocolate concrete? It was perhaps the finest school pudding of all time - at least in my time. Circa '67-74 in Brum. Does anyone out there have a recipe? It was the only school meal I ever saw boys fight over and if you were late to the dinner queue and it was all gone there was a great wailing and gnashing of teeth. Served with thick gloopy custard it was a dream.

As for horrible puddings there are too many to relate but one stood out for me. Spotted Dick - it wasn't anywhere near as nasty as sago or tapioca (frogspawn) but for some reason it always made me throw up. In the end I just stopped getting it.

Any other candidates?

Quote Originally Posted by Roymit View Post
    Does anyone remember chocolate concrete? It was perhaps the finest school pudding of all time - at least in my time. Circa '67-74 in Brum. Does anyone out there have a recipe? It was the only school meal I ever saw boys fight over and if you were late to the dinner queue and it was all gone there was a great wailing and gnashing of teeth. Served with thick gloopy custard it was a dream.

As for horrible puddings there are too many to relate but one stood out for me. Spotted Dick - it wasn't anywhere near as nasty as sago or tapioca (frogspawn) but for some reason it always made me throw up. In the end I just stopped getting it.

Any other candidates?
    Remember 'Chocolate' and 'Spotted' well. Agree completely as to their merits.
    Last edited by Q165; 31-07-2017 at 11:18 AM.

Baked cornflakes was another treat. I always enjoyed school dinners and it was thanks to them that I started to eat cabbage, cauliflower etc as I could not stand the stuff before. I remember grated carrot with raisins in as well.

I always remember mint custard.

I'stayed'school'dinners'just'once.The'smell'was'en ough'to'make'you'feel'sick'so'it'went'uneaten.

Chocolate Concrete recipe:
    160g butter / magazine
    175 granulated sugar
    225g Self Raising Flour
    25g Cocoa powder
    1 Egg

Pre heat oven to Gas Mark 3 /170 degrees C
    Melt butter in a saucepan, add sugar and mix well
    Add flour and cocoa, mix well until you have a stiff consistency
    Best egg and add to the mixture
    Put mixture into a 30cm X 18cm baking tray pushing mixture well into the corners and flatten into tin.
    Sprinkle on a little water and place in top half of the oven for 45 minutes.
    Remove from the oven and sprinkle with sugar. Allow to cool and then cut into pieces and place on a wire tray.
    Eat as is or serve with the gloopy custard!

My school dinners fave was indeed spotted dick with custard.......followed by a close second of baked cornflakes. Those were the days. You wolfed it down in order to swiftly go up for 'seconds'.....pity the poor so and so's who were late even for firsts. No equality then it was first or nowhere! Youngsters today......they don't know owt!

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    I'stayed'school'dinners'just'once.The'smell'was'en ough'to'make'you'feel'sick'so'it'went'uneaten.
    That's once more than me Des.

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    I always remember mint custard.
    Aaaaahhhh, mint custard, mmmm, loved it but not had it since the mid 70's.

At the other end of the scale was "Devils Spunk" Semolina pudding, still makes me shiver thinking bout it now.

[QUOTE=Pugmitch;38604314]Chocolate Concrete recipe:
    160g butter / magazine
    175 granulated sugar
    225g Self Raising Flour
    25g Cocoa powder
    1 Egg

Ah Pugmitch, many thanks - but what is this "magazine" of which you speak?

[QUOTE=Roymit;38604395]
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugmitch View Post
    Chocolate Concrete recipe:
    160g butter / magazine
    175 granulated sugar
    225g Self Raising Flour
    25g Cocoa powder
    1 Egg

Ah Pugmitch, many thanks - but what is this "magazine" of which you speak?
    I think could be margarine........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)