+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 14 of 79 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 and the Media

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    Tongue in cheek-

If Matt Hancock announced the UK had created a vaccine for Covid 19, the press questions I'd expect would run something like this.

BBC: Will you apologise for not creating a vacine sooner?

ITV: Is it true that it contains animal products?

C4: Wouldn't it have been quicker and more lives would have been saved, had the UK joined the EU vaccination scheme?

SKY: You said creating a vaccine would take a year? Do you now accept that you were misleading parliament, the media and the general public?

Daily Mirror: Isn't it true that austerity stopped the vaccine being made earlier?

Guardian: Do you accept the evidence suggesting that vaccines are racially biased?

Verily thou art Thicker and more naive than i thought! So you are in favour of no media scrutiny by the media? Your in favour of an authoritarian regime whereby you and your ilk would be instructed what to do what to believe and at about the time you realised that none of it was in your interests it would be too late!

I knew that there was a section of the population whose IQ's were so low that they had no concept of original thought, were so simple that they believed the rich entitled right were there to rule over them, but too actually read the inane ramblings of one is amazing!

Whats even more amusing and sad, is that somehow you have got it in to your head that the rubbish you spout is in any way meaningful!

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    But, it's still a minority group.

I wonder if it would now be possible to transfer as many covid patients as possible, to the Nightingale hospitals, which would allow some NHS hospitals to return to normal?
    Apparently not, because they haven't got the staff. Nothing to do with the NHS being 50,000 nurses short? Nothing to do with he the present government all of whom voted against a pay rise for nurses and withdrew the financial help for nurses training, or the wish to restrict "low paid" immigrants who it now transpires includes nurses, hospital support staff such as cleaners porters, care workers.

if the situation wasn't so serious it would be funny watching the chickens come home to roost!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    No I don’t agree to agree to differ and my point wasn’t based round BAME ‘shouting loudest’, GP said that - my issue remains with ‘the press’ and ‘broadcast news and current affairs’ and the tactic they clearly have to ‘push agendas’ (BAME is one but not the only one) for reasons I have an opinion on but won’t share here as it isn’t the issue at hand.
    Except they don't, other than ones you have presumed! I wonder what exactly is it about a discussion on these issues that threatens you to the extent that you see agendas?

I've never felt remotely bothered by the welcome and civilised acknowledgement that people should not be disadvantaged by being a different race, different ***, disabled etc.

Yes certain people use a perceived disadvantage to push a claim for preferential treatment, but thats not the majority, most just want to be the same opportunities as others. Its ironic that some white people seem to be acting in the same manner as those they believe are playing some kind of minority card!

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    The UKIP pressure group, worked to a good degree.
    It changed loads, mainly because it allowed an outlet for discontent that was being ignored, of massive proportions.
    What did it changer then exactly? I'm sure you have some examples, though preferably not ones you have found from a dodgy source on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    That's rubbish Swale, there has been considerable coverage about the BAME issue with many calls for an investigation regarding that group, but little is being said or done about the male issue. Also my blood group A- is disproportionately affected by the virus, I bet you haven't even heard that, nevermind getting the same coverage as BAME.

I agree with your point saying that we would be glad to have a pressure group supporting us. But that is the big grievance for white middle aged males, we seem to be the only group of people in society that doesn't have the support of one or more pressure groups.

There are many out there to choose from including BAME, women, LGBT, Jews, pensioners, unions, ASH, etc. I think this is the reason why they're is so much bitterness from your average, better not say normal, white middle aged British male. They feel that they have no one to fight their corner.
    Oh come on! White middle aged men are disadvantaged? There are endless support groups who cover and campaign for issues affecting you and others. Pull the other ****ing one! As for normal well thats in the eye of the beholder isn't it, plus ca difference I say.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    What did it changer then exactly? I'm sure you have some examples, though preferably not ones you have found from a dodgy source on the internet.
    Of course it did.
    Pre UKIP, discontent with the same old political stance remained unchanged.
    Discontent with the European train was going unanswered, ignored and brushed off as a nuisance.

UKIP come along with a mandate to remove the UK from the EU. Finally voters get a party to vote for, that is going to try to do exactly what they desire.
    All of a sudden, the major parties have to look worried, especially the Conservatives.
    So to win back voters, a referendum is promised. They didn't expect it turn out the way it did, but offer it they did and promised to uphold it.
    We don't need to go over old ground here. But change politics it did.

The last election showed that. Constituencies that had never been Conservative, became so because the bloody useless Labour party still couldn't repsect that vote.

Now if that doesn't count as change in your eyes I give up.
    No one expected UKIP to run the country. All they wanted was the main parties to take their gripe seriously. They didn't and now you're entrenched with a Tory governemnt and a Labour party at its lowest point for 90 years.

That's my polite answer.

Oh come on! White middle aged men are disadvantaged? There are endless support groups who cover and campaign for issues affecting you and others. Pull the other ****ing one! As for normal well thats in the eye of the beholder isn't it, plus ca difference I say.
    OK, oh wise one, could you give me this endless list, please?

Verily thou art Thicker and more naive than i thought! So you are in favour of no media scrutiny by the media? Your in favour of an authoritarian regime whereby you and your ilk would be instructed what to do what to believe and at about the time you realised that none of it was in your interests it would be too late!

I knew that there was a section of the population whose IQ's were so low that they had no concept of original thought, were so simple that they believed the rich entitled right were there to rule over them, but too actually read the inane ramblings of one is amazing!

Whats even more amusing and sad, is that somehow you have got it in to your head that the rubbish you spout is in any way meaningful!
    Yesterday we had a thread closed and a poster admonished for personal abuse. Im struggling to see how this is any different and hopefully the same action is taken.

What is interesting is that when the selfsame jokes were made by Adi elsethread, no abuse was received - perhaps because Adi is a self proclaimed left thinker, whilst Tricky is not. Odd that.

I believe it is time that the hectoring bullying and personal abuse from "various sources" desists. Im all for constructive debate, disagreement and the occasional piss take, but this has now reached a ridiculous level of abuse. Just read the above few posts please, Andy.

The great irony of course is that the purveyor of the majority of the abuse is himself the great gaurdain of free speech, equality and the right to an opinion. Squaring that circle is rather difficult.

I may not agree with Tricky's views but I will defend to the death his right to have and express them without being subjected to ridicule and abuse. to paraphrase Evelyn Hall and maybe Voltaire

ill keep an eye on it as I always do. Yesterday’s thread was closed because it didn’t really serve a purpose, Mista is welcome to repost his piece of archive retrieval on here. I’m not sure who individually was admonished, I don’t call calm down chaps a particularly heavy admonishment if that’s what you mean. Swales late night insult scatttergunning Has been a feature of this place at least since the start of the Brexit thread, if anyone’s got an issue with a personal insult they can always pm me

I'm actually a fan of Douglas Murray.

He is very right in so much. The very fact he is gay and gets fed up with the Owen Jones type stance on LGBT, is good to hear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2zZMg7SNWA

Good debate

*** Andy, water off a ducks back to me. It's text on a screen. Don't punish anyone on my behalf. I'm a big boy.

Page 14 of 79 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)