+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Millers history shows it would be lunacy to dismiss Paul Warne

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    It would be lunacy to sack him because he's a good League One manager.

There would be a case to let him go if we managed to get into the Championship again though because he's shown he can't keep the team in that division with that budget, maybe with a bigger budget at another team he could.
    According to the table on this website Rotherham's budget was the third lowest in the Championship. It was quite a bit higher than Wycombe's and marginally higher than Coventry's. It was, however only about one third of Derby's and less than a quarter of Sheffield Wednesday's:
    https://outsidergaming.com/football-...for-all-clubs/

So all things being equal, Rotherham should have been relegated 3rd from the bottom. Thus by that measurement Paul underperformed by one point and Gareth Ainsworth overperformed by 2 points. And Mark Robins over-performed by 13 points.

Of course that is not the whole story because Coventry and Wycombe did not have to play the absurd number of games Rotherham had to play in a relatively short period at the end of the season. Mark Robins incidentally did not get Rotherham promoted at the first attempt and, according to the data I cited (I can't remember), we were relegated the first season he was in charge and the second season he was in charge we were only in the 4th tier but he still didn't manage to do once what Paul Warne did twice in the 3rd tier i.e. bounce back promotion.
    Last edited by vaterland_miller; 09-05-2021 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    It would be lunacy to sack him because he's a good League One manager.

There would be a case to let him go if we managed to get into the Championship again though because he's shown he can't keep the team in that division with that budget, maybe with a bigger budget at another team he could.
    He’s actually a good league 1 manager with Championship experience

So maybe other clubs may come knocking?

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    He’s actually a good league 1 manager with Championship experience

So maybe other clubs may come knocking?
    Exactly Grist. There must be plenty of clubs who would want him and some may offer him better terms than us. I'm sure a lot of Ipswich fans would like an "instant promotion" of the type some of our fans take for granted. Our Paul has made it look easy but it certainly isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by vaterland_miller View Post
    Exactly Grist. There must be plenty of clubs who would want him and some may offer him better terms than us. I'm sure a lot of Ipswich fans would like an "instant promotion" of the type some of our fans take for granted. Our Paul has made it look easy but it certainly isn't.
    For a second there I thought you were proposing the idea of a Norwich supporter taking over at Ipswich....

Quote Originally Posted by MillersTime View Post
    For a second there I thought you were proposing the idea of a Norwich supporter taking over at Ipswich....
    I always thought Neil Warnock would be the best choice for Wednesday to get them out of the mess they were in.

I always thought Neil Warnock would be the best choice for Wednesday to get them out of the mess they were in.
    Absolutely spot on there, Warnock would take them out of existence lol, job done

Other than Paul Warne, only Billy McEwan has managed the club through both promotion and relegation - in both cases between 3rd and 4th tier.

It looks like all the promotion managers either left for a "better" job (Ian Porterfield and Steve Evans) or left (either voluntarily or otherwise) before we were relegated. That fact, in itself, says something about Paul Warne.
    And that relegation from third division under McEwan was a bit unique as it’s the only one for us that involved the short lived and ill fated promotion/relegations play offs system…we lost to fourth division Swansea over two legs…

Seems hard to believe looking at the current day that wolves won that season”s fourth division title that season…
    Last edited by clarkey1974; 10-05-2021 at 08:53 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123