+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: EFL Trophy Draw

EFL Trophy Draw

Notts have been drawn in the southern section Group F with Burton Albion and Northampton Town, plus an as yet unknown PL U21 team of course. I think the draw for the PL academy teams is on Thursday.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 24-06-2024 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Notts have been drawn in the southern section Group F with Burton Albion and Northampton Town, plus an as yet unknown PL U21 team of course.
    Fun fact: When we've played the Burton Albion tie, they will be the only club we've met more or as many times in the FL Trophy (and equivalents) than we have in the league.

Bizarrely, Notts are in the Southern section and the Florists are in the Northern section, so presumably the map was upside down at EFL HQ!

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Bizarrely, Notts are in the Southern section and the Florists are in the Northern section, so presumably the map was upside down at EFL HQ!
    That reminds me, I’ve never understood how promotion and relegation work between national and regional divisions - e.g. between NLS and NLN and National League, so I’ve just looked up the current system:

“If the teams in the Norht [sic] and South divisions are not equal because of the promotions and relegations, teams are then transferred between the two divisions based on the teams location in the country until there is an even number.” I think Notts were never in the 3rd Div North? We must have been close to being moved between 3rd Dive South and North if they used the same system - or has this issue never actually arisen?

Quote Originally Posted by applepie2 View Post
    That reminds me, I’ve never understood how promotion and relegation work between national and regional divisions - e.g. between NLS and NLN and National League, so I’ve just looked up the current system:

“If the teams in the Norht [sic] and South divisions are not equal because of the promotions and relegations, teams are then transferred between the two divisions based on the teams location in the country until there is an even number.” I think Notts were never in the 3rd Div North? We must have been close to being moved between 3rd Dive South and North if they used the same system - or has this issue never actually arisen?
    So north and south leagues basically are the same pot but can switch between seasons. So on year you may be north but the next you might be south. You can be relegated from a southern league and end up in a northern league, basically it's one big pot split up

Lets face it who gives a toss

Quote Originally Posted by Wedgie_pie View Post
    Lets face it who gives a toss
    I give a little toss.

Again I hope we play the weakest team the rules permit and exit at the first opportunity.

There'll be no tosses emanating from my direction. I don't care if we're in the Northern section, the Southern section or the Burkina Faso section, I won't be bothering

Quote Originally Posted by applepie2 View Post
    I think Notts were never in the 3rd Div North?
    Unfortunately not.
    I say unfortunately because it looks to me as though the 3rd tier South was the stronger division of the two regions, going by who finished higher between the promoted North and South teams in their first season in tier 2 during the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s.
    Also, the odd few seasons' gates I've looked at, the South had a considerably higher average, so we might have got out sooner with Lawton and Sewell had we been placed in the North, which would have meant having more seasons in tier 2 with Lawton in his prime. Port Vale were in the 3rd tier South though during Lawton's time and they would have taken a Northern place ahead of us had the numbers required another team to switch during that period.

We *were* the most northern team in the 3rd tier South in the mid-1930s whilst Stags, Lincoln and Chesterfield were all in the 3rd tier North.

Leicester U21 added to our group.