+ Visit Southampton FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Europa Cup

Europa Cup

I have noticed, on various forums, Saints fans saying they don't want us to qualify for the Europa Cup, citing the form of Newcastle, last season, and Swansea this.

I don't have a problem with this point of view, but I do wish the same people wouldn't then say "I hope we go all out to win the FA Cup, this season."

Don't get me wrong, I want us to win the FA Cup, but unlike those, I am referring to above, I realise that winning the FA Cup would mean playing in the Europa Cup. Can't have it both ways.

re: Europa Cup

So let me get this right, you'd rather not win the FA Cup for fear of dropping from 9th to 14th in the League next season and playing some European matches?

There really needs to be a 'Doh' smiley here there's so much of it about.

No wonder you never win anything.

It's a difficult one, obviously I would love to see Saints in Europe again but there's no doubt it has an effect on your league form. We have seen lately how much we've been affected by injuries, if we had extra midweek European games as well we just wouldn't cope.

We're not going to win the FA Cup anyway, and it looks increasingly unlikely we will qualify via the league, so it's a mute point really.

Quote Originally Posted by saintwayne

We're not going to win the FA Cup anyway, and it looks increasingly unlikely we will qualify via the league, so it's a mute point really.
    Moot point.

But why can't you win the FA Cup? You've got a free ride into the last 16. There's obviously luck in the draw, but if some more big sides meet, you've shown you can beat anyone at home.

It's not even as though you'd cripple your club by winning it.

Quote Originally Posted by chiswickmart
    So let me get this right, you'd rather not win the FA Cup for fear of dropping from 9th to 14th in the League next season and playing some European matches?

There really needs to be a 'Doh' smiley here there's so much of it about.

No wonder you never win anything.
    Just pointing out that some Saints fans don't think through, what they are writing, a bit like some of your fellow posters, from the poor end of the M27.

Quote Originally Posted by CostaBaz
    Don't get me wrong, I want us to win the FA Cup, but unlike those, I am referring to above, I realise that winning the FA Cup would mean playing in the Europa Cup. Can't have it both ways.
    Sadly we haven't got anywhere near the strength in depth to sustain a Europa league push. These last 6 weeks or so have shown us that.

I'm more of a let's enjoy it while it lasts and a let's not run before we walk kind of guy, but that said if we did win the FA cup then I'd not exactly be annoyed at being in Europe!

That's a matter to be dealt with as, when and if. Yeovil first.

Win the cup, go out of the Europa league early doors.

Everyone's a winner.

A good run in the FA cup would be beneficial for the club and city, but let's take it one step at a time,Yeovil first.With the injuries we have suffered shows how fickle fate can be. But whatever happens at least we can say, that whatever happens they got there with their own players and didn't break the bank doing it. Also if fate is kind to us the Don will not make the same errors as the dark lord last time we qualified.

As someone has already said, one game at a time. Yeovil next and with our second choice, second rate defence anyone has a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by saintwayne
    We have seen lately how much we've been affected by injuries, if we had extra midweek European games as well we just wouldn't cope.

Well if we spend the money we've got (which is money Newcastle & Swansea haven't got) then we could cope.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast