+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfers In's & Out's confirmed Reports currently.

Stomper If playing Roberts and costa because the younger ones are not better then we have some deficiencies!
    Again though MB had Kiko in goal if he knew how good Meslier was why wasn't he playing him? And if he didn't know how good he was again why? The only way to find out is to play some and you might get a surprise as we did with him and Pat. With all the injuries last season a few times he had kids on the bench and never gave them the time of day.
    I stress again he was brought in because of his record of nurturing young players and bringing them through hence saving clubs of huge transfer fees but the opposite has happened at Leeds.
    Don't get me wrong what we did last season was unreal but in no way he is a god as gods don't make mistakes or have stubbornness in them.
    Anyway, time will tell season is about to kick in again we can judge once again.

In my books bielsa is the best thing we've had since Don revie, and bielsa runs him a close second, I believe the stats would prove this as well. The football we play at times is superb, who bielsa plays and for whatever reasoning is fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by whitestomper45 View Post
    We have just finished a better than most expected season and you now find something else to moan about... not playing enough youth.... The first team squad to a player played above themselves in almost every game, but what , just drop players and put in youth for the sake of it? If Bielsa is so against youth why was he happy to keep with Meslier?

You do realise that one of Leeds short term aims/signings was to achieve Category A for the academy, which they did last season.

As I've mentioned before this now prevents A rated clubs coming in with (usually) derogatory offers and Leeds being obliged to sell them, as we are deemed just as good for the players development. It's an intrinsic part of a brilliant plan to organically grow LUFC.

All those top young players running round at Euros, were from A rated academy's... we too will now be able to attract even better youth signings... the standards expected of all Leeds teams continues to rise... we had at least 5 players 21 or under regularly part of the first team last season
    And however good they are, if the first team is again performing above expectation, the younger players trying to break in, will have to wait their time.. as should be the case... If your playing well (and we did for most of last season) you shouldn't get dropped unless you get injured.
    You simply cannot countencance the slightest criticism of the great god Bielsa can you?

I am not "moaning" about anything, simply voicing concern that our Academy continues to grow, whilst the majority of "newcomers" to the 1st team are "direct imports", where the Academy has played little or any part in strengthening the 1st team. Is that sensible economics? Does the Academy make sense if we are adopting a policy of "import first" for 1st team additions? there are other questions to be asked (and answered) but clearly you consider any such questioning to be some kind of heresy.

To answer your somewhat facile questions regarding Bielsas attitude to younger players and the Academy;

Bielsa stuck with Meslier because he (Meslier) demonstrated that the clown was (and continues to be) a liability and not worthy of his place as No.1 gk. That came about not because Bielsa was convinced the young lad should be given a chance in the 1st team, but because our racist ex-No.1 got himself banned. That's not "being happy to keep with Meslier", it's not having any f00king choice in the matter, very different.

I'm well aware of the elevation of the Academy, my question would be "Why", if its products aren't to be "graduated" into the 1st team. None of the Academy products have moved into 1st team contention unless injury or suspension has FORCED it on Bielsa, not because he has chosen to field ex-Academy players, we know he is stubborn to the point of distraction (hence his determination to see those other two donkeys, Roberts and Costa be given extended contracts on enhanced terms). He has not been, and isn't., without fault, at least for those who are prepared to see them for what they are. I like all Leeds supporters are incredibly grateful for what he has done, but he isn't god. If all that is happening is part of a "brilliant plan to organically grow LUFC", where are Academy grads supposed to graduate to, if not the 1st team? If the strategy is (to nod in the direction of your comment regarding "protection"), to ring fence young players and retain them for Leeds, is that coupled with a "promotion" strategy for entry to the 1st team? If it is, there is precious little evidence to underpin it. If however we are doing what we criticise the likes of Sh1tty and others doing, i.e ringfencing young talent to prevent other clubs from acquiring them, we should at least be honest about it (to the players involved and the fans).

You refer to "at least five players under 21". You refer to Meslier (you'd suggest anyone else?), Struijk, Poveda and...?

As for not dropping players who are performing, unless injured etc. 100% agree. So why wasn't the opportunity taken of a cup match to gauge the performance of outfield players (given that we appear to thought it was a good idea to field the clown between the sticks), as we clearly couldn't give a stuff about the eventual outcome), in a senior team scenario?

Lastly, unless Radrizzabi has found a pot of gold at the end of some rainbow, we aren't going to be able to procure from the market sufficient players of adequate skill/.quality to allow us to do what the top 6 - 8 teams in the PL do, rotate players of (almost) equal talent and skill to ensure they are able to tolerate the demands of a full season. Any hope of getting that kind of resilience in the playing squad will have to be built by the notion of "organically growing LUFC", which won't happen if Academy grads continue to be denied 1sat team opportunity. You can't have it both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by norfolk white View Post
    In my books bielsa is the best thing we've had since Don revie, and bielsa runs him a close second, I believe the stats would prove this as well. The football we play at times is superb, who bielsa plays and for whatever reasoning is fine by me.
    I don't think anyone (me included) would argue with what you say NW, it's more a case of how the club can afford to continue to performances at that level (we're not,, Scum, Chleski or ****ty when it comes to depth of pockets, but we will need to be if we're to do even better than last season).

A lot of the players in the u23s are still v v young they have time on their side.

Robert’s looked decent in the last few games of the season. Costa has shown he can do it he just doesn’t seem to do it often enough.

If we keep progressing and improving all squads then that will do for me.

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    A lot of the players in the u23s are still v v young they have time on their side.

Robert’s looked decent in the last few games of the season. Costa has shown he can do it he just doesn’t seem to do it often enough.

If we keep progressing and improving all squads then that will do for me.
    I admire you, honestly I do. You don't bad mouth (often anyway!), and you live by your nickname, but.......

"Roberts looked decent....." after how long with the club and playing in the 1st team?

"Costa has shown he can do it etc......" how long would he have survived at any of the top 7 or 8 clubs, if he "doesn't seem to do it often enough"?

And none of that addresses the issue of when (or if) Academy players will be given the opportunity of showing what they can do at first team level.

Why is Bielsa willing to tolerate what in anyone's view are sub-standard performances by current 1st team players whilst at the same time denying certain Academy players the opportunity to show they can do better (and without automatically recruiting from the market for players who may, or may not, be any better)?

Mr WTF - Academies kids game time ?

11 players on pitch,7 substitutes on bench & new concussion rules all create opportunities for game time albeit via tactics,injuries,suspensions or cup competitions.

As for actual game time amount - like anyone else you'd better grab the opportunities and leave an impression - not exactly zero hours contract & low pay scenario for squad players but definitely tough at the top level as indeed it should be at Leeds Utd.

Paid good money to see our youngsters picked in cup games over the seasons and went home wishing I had'nt.

So you'd spend your hard earned cash to travel up North in Jan to find 5 kids on the first eleven team sheet and be perfectly happy then ?
    Last edited by Monaco_Totty; 16-07-2021 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Monaco_Totty View Post
    Mr WTF - Academies kids game time ?

11 players on pitch,7 substitutes on bench & new concussion rules all create opportunities for game time albeit via tactics,injuries,suspensions or cup competitions.

As for actual game time amount - like anyone else you'd better grab the opportunities and leave an impression - not exactly zero hours contract & low pay scenario for squad players but definitely tough at the top level as indeed it should be at Leeds Utd.

Paid good money to see our youngsters picked in cup games over the seasons and went home wishing I had'nt.

So you'd spend your hard earned cash to travel up North in Jan to find 5 kids on the first eleven team sheet and be perfectly happy then ?
    The thing is Totty why bother buying all these youngsters if they aren't going to be played? I mean if that is the case why not just bring up local kids eg Phillips and be done with it and go city Liverpool's Chelsea way and just buy players I don't think many come through those clubs' so-called class academies.
    He ain't saying anything bad. Like I said what we talk about and question here is just that, the club does what it wants and we cant change a thing. Like Meslier and Pat, we didn't know if they were any good because they weren't picked till it was necessary. WE are questioning how many others we or the club don't know about? That is all and that is it, now put your knickers back on relax take a deep breath, and say hello to mum for me

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    You simply cannot countencance the slightest criticism of the great god Bielsa can you?

I am not "moaning" about anything, simply voicing concern that our Academy continues to grow, whilst the majority of "newcomers" to the 1st team are "direct imports", where the Academy has played little or any part in strengthening the 1st team. Is that sensible economics? Does the Academy make sense if we are adopting a policy of "import first" for 1st team additions? there are other questions to be asked (and answered) but clearly you consider any such questioning to be some kind of heresy.

To answer your somewhat facile questions regarding Bielsas attitude to younger players and the Academy;

Bielsa stuck with Meslier because he (Meslier) demonstrated that the clown was (and continues to be) a liability and not worthy of his place as No.1 gk. That came about not because Bielsa was convinced the young lad should be given a chance in the 1st team, but because our racist ex-No.1 got himself banned. That's not "being happy to keep with Meslier", it's not having any f00king choice in the matter, very different.

I'm well aware of the elevation of the Academy, my question would be "Why", if its products aren't to be "graduated....
    You refer to "at least five players under 21". You refer to Meslier (you'd suggest anyone else?), Struijk, Poveda and...?
    I've already said the goal was to sign players to get us to category A, now we are there, give the club the chance before knocking the recruitment policy... oh the 5 players, realise your not that familiar with U23's, can't remember you commenting on their matchdays last season... tho maybe you got your new found interest in them later when i got sick of your nit picking of club...ROBERTS, POVEDA, STRUIJK, MESLIER, SHACKLETON...Davis, Casey, Cresswell, Huggins, Gotts, Bogusz, Jenkins, Greenwood all made appearances too
    Last edited by whitestomper45; 16-07-2021 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by monaco_totty View Post
    mr wtf - academies kids game time ?

As for actual game time amount - like anyone else you'd better grab the opportunities and leave an impression - not exactly zero hours contract & low pay scenario for squad players but definitely tough at the top level as indeed it should be at leeds utd.

Paid good money to see our youngsters picked in cup games over the seasons and went home wishing i had'nt.

So you'd spend your hard earned cash to travel up north in jan to find 5 kids on the first eleven team sheet and be perfectly happy then ?
    wtf?

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)