+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gayle rumours

Gayle rumours

Today's papers reckon Gayle might be on his way this week. I did wonder about his 'illness' - such a common excuse when a player is on their way out these days. Surely that'd mean we have a direct replacement lined up, so Gayle out and someone like Slimani in? What does everyone feel about this? To be honest I have massive reservations about Gayle's ability to lead the line at this level. He could be a success in a 4-4-2 but he's not physical enough to be a lone striker. Looks like Mitro might get a ban, so I cannot imagine us selling Gayle and ending up with only Joselu. I'd be happy enough to Gayle leave, but only if we get a new number 9 before the window shuts!

Without wishing to sound too cold, if we reinvested properly I wouldn't be too disappointed. I share your misgivings about him leading the line (and his dodgy hamstrings complicate things further). Keegan got rid of Kelly when we got promoted and I was gutted but if the same happened with Gayle I'd be grateful for his goals and his efforts but not overly disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Without wishing to sound too cold, if we reinvested properly I wouldn't be too disappointed. I share your misgivings about him leading the line (and his dodgy hamstrings complicate things further). Keegan got rid of Kelly when we got promoted and I was gutted but if the same happened with Gayle I'd be grateful for his goals and his efforts but not overly disappointed.
    Agree with both. There's no way we would get full benefit from Gayle as a lone man for more than a few games at a time.

When he was good at the standard we were up against last season we had good results with his goals. But there always seemed to be some weakness of some sort niggling problem on the horizon.

To be fair to the lad I just feel that a long campaign in the Prem would be a step too far and if we get past this window and he has an early breakdown then it's a ***** squad place and important position gone.

There“s been something going on with Gayle for a while with this "he“s fit but hasn“t got the confidence to play" bullsh*t, which we had a bit last season too just after his nipper was born.

I rate Gayle and think he can do a job in the prem however i'm getting increasing concerned about his mental state - basically for reasons toptoon said. It also showed how much better we looked with Joselu leading the line as he played the tactics and style that Rafa wants us to play.

If we are selling him we need a replacement lined up to come straight in but i won't be to fussed if he goes, on condition we have someone who can be straight in.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammy89 View Post
    I rate Gayle and think he can do a job in the prem however i'm getting increasing concerned about his mental state - basically for reasons toptoon said. It also showed how much better we looked with Joselu leading the line as he played the tactics and style that Rafa wants us to play.

If we are selling him we need a replacement lined up to come straight in but i won't be to fussed if he goes, on condition we have someone who can be straight in.
    That is it though. A good reliable replacement needs to be on the books first. We can't risk being lighter than we are up front with the constant risk of Mitro missing games because of "over enthusiasm"

He would do a great job at somewhere like Forest who have money after their summer sales. So long as we reinvest the fee in the squad its fine

I keep seeing things about him being sold to raise funds in recent days, but frequently they refer to him as being rated at £10m. Surely he's got to fetch at least £15m in the current crazy market??

I'd expect at least £15 million. It could go as high as £20 million.

they want him off the books
    he will be like judas
    sold at the 11th hour and the money wont be used

he aint good enough for th e prem
    i dont rate josalwho highly as a scorer but he showed more saturday in the prem than gayle has

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)