+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: OT Hamilton

rA, how dare you diss Scalextric, its far more interesting than F1. Next you'll be telling me that Subbuteo is boring!

Golf quite probably has the most obscure rules, not many people Ive ever met have ever understood all the nuances (apart from one total nerd who was as much fun to play with as a robot)

However the point seems to be that the one person who should understood the rules has gone out on a limb to create another one of his own. With a "referee" with that mindset, even the most simple of rules are in danger. Yes VAR has its flaws, but one of them is not that an official decides to make up his own VAR rules on the spot one day, because its the 90th minute of the Cup Final and his change will make sure there is a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    rA, how dare you diss Scalextric, its far more interesting than F1. Next you'll be telling me that Subbuteo is boring!

Golf quite probably has the most obscure rules, not many people Ive ever met have ever understood all the nuances (apart from one total nerd who was as much fun to play with as a robot)

However the point seems to be that the one person who should understood the rules has gone out on a limb to create another one of his own. With a "referee" with that mindset, even the most simple of rules are in danger. Yes VAR has its flaws, but one of them is not that an official decides to make up his own VAR rules on the spot one day, because its the 90th minute of the Cup Final and his change will make sure there is a result.
    I’d never ‘diss’ Scalextric, GP...I thought it was brilliant...until I was about eleven!

Subbuteo likewise...I used to be in a Subbuteo league at school. My grandchildren just looked at me as if I’d taken leave of my senses when I tried to introduce them to it though. I think it’s the combination of the real and the surreal that confuses them. Everything, especially the team colour details, floodlights, goal nets etc suggests authenticity...but then, in terms of scale, the ball is the equivalent of a six foot sphere.
    Doesn’t compare with computerised ‘reality’ apparently.

"I used to be in a Subbuteo league at school"

But as a teacher, does this mean that in your 50's you were still an avid subbuteo flicker?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I was just being tongue in cheek about the tyres.

As for a ‘team sport’...I’m sorry I don’t buy that. I’m sure the pit crews are highly skilled and dedicated individuals but there is no such sport as ‘speedy wheel changing’. Virtually all sports have backroom staff, physios, kitmen, etc and I know there are ‘teams’ of individuals involved but F1 isn’t, imo, a ‘team sport’.
    ..... until the pit crew screw up and take 15 seconds over a 2 second tyre change..... and that does happen rather more often than the proverbial blue moon

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294224821...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

You can buy a 1970's Subbuteo Derby for £ 30........slightly more than you can buy a real 2020's Derby for.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Well I get that at least from mine, doing a lot of motorway driving, but then maybe I don't accelerate or break hard all the time?
    cornering wears tyres out more. It also depends on the sizing/compounds. I have always had low profile tyres with no side wall give.
    Good quality tyres always wear faster than long haulers. You don't get good grip from hard tyres.

"I used to be in a Subbuteo league at school"

But as a teacher, does this mean that in your 50's you were still an avid subbuteo flicker?
    Lol...no...other things took over shortly after I abandoned Scalextric. Still got the Subbuteo stuff in the loft though.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I was just being tongue in cheek about the tyres.

As for a ‘team sport’...I’m sorry I don’t buy that. I’m sure the pit crews are highly skilled and dedicated individuals but there is no such sport as ‘speedy wheel changing’. Virtually all sports have backroom staff, physios, kitmen, etc and I know there are ‘teams’ of individuals involved but F1 isn’t, imo, a ‘team sport’.
    Gotta disagree, its the teamiest of team sports. IMO

But then again I DON'T consider cricket to be especially a team game, more a series of aggregated individual challenges and an unwritten agreement between players to help one another on a tit for tat basis
    Last edited by Andy_Faber; 13-12-2021 at 03:23 PM.

But F1 is not really a sport is it, if you define sport as something that is participative and available to all. The entry price puts it out of the reach of most people, even more so the higher up the pyramid you climb. Its more of an engineering challenge played out across the world at the cost of the environment

But F1 is not really a sport is it, if you define sport as something that is participative and available to all. The entry price puts it out of the reach of most people, even more so the higher up the pyramid you climb. Its more of an engineering challenge played out across the world at the cost of the environment
    Not really sure I agree with that one either, check out many rags to riches stories inc Mansell's

If you argue that its not a sport because it relies on an outside entity (ie the car) you might have a point

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)