+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 52 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast

Thread: New manager

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    If it was Maynard, would the players respect him. What has he done in the professional game, has he played it? Goldie Bostock O'Brien are going to look at him & think what do you know that we don't. We've played the game at the highest level under experienced Coaches. You've coached non league part time. It is a big step up, one that if appointed could find very overwhelming
    I think you’re projecting your own opinion onto how the players will view him.
    In the modern game it’s being proven time and time again that the level you’ve played at has no bearing on your abilities as a coach. See Rooney for the most recent example.
    I’m almost certain LW’s success wasn’t from teaching the players things they didn’t already know.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    With my dealings of BT engineers, he need to have a few others join him to fix it a few weeks down the line. In all seriousness though, I'll be bloody annoyed if it is him. Just feels like we aren't looking to go forward
    Maynard now 1/6 to on.
    I’ll be very annoyed and underwhelmed if it’s him and tbh I feel like it’s a step backwards setting on a manager from a MID table national league side who we easily pumped twice last season.

Quote Originally Posted by WarsopPie View Post
    Maynard now 1/6 to on.
    I’ll be very annoyed and underwhelmed if it’s him and tbh I feel like it’s a step backwards setting on a manager from a MID table national league side who we easily pumped twice last season.
    Me too, but it's important we don't collectively lose it and create a negative atmosphere. We should back whoever they bring in and let their results speak for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    I have no real idea who I want, but I know the list on the bookies odds are very underwhelming. Of any I have seen, but I feel that it would not be achievable would be Bo Svensson. He played the same style as we play when at Mainz and also has the required personal skills as well but going from the Bundesliga to League 2 is a very steep drop.
    Unfortunately there’s absolutely zero chance we’re getting him, probably the equivalent to us getting Nathan Jones over here.
    I think a real ambitious move would be to go for Wild as he’s doing it at Barrow and was really good at Halifax with a small budget, you could say similar to Maynard in that respect.
    If Maynard has the real character to lead and has something about him I would be very happy with him as he has shown he can do the rest.

Maynard now 1/6 to on.
    Doubt it's Maynard. Taking too long, especially if no1 target for the boys. We can afford the compo, his wages will go up something else. It wouldn't be as if we are dealing with an experienced manager who will demand this that & other

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    I think you’re projecting your own opinion onto how the players will view him.
    In the modern game it’s being proven time and time again that the level you’ve played at has no bearing on your abilities as a coach. See Rooney for the most recent example.
    I’m almost certain LW’s success wasn’t from teaching the players things they didn’t already know.
    You couldn't be further from the truth about it's my opinion. I know players from the game who have had the "you know who I am" on the field & in management

Maynard now 1/6 to on.
    You are talking about a club that is punching above its weight. He’s a part time coach who gets his players 2/3 times a week and he has them mid table in a league that has a huge proportion of clubs that are full time. He can’t spend his whole time thinking about football.
    I have no idea whether he will be any good. But then I had no idea about Burch and Williams. If it’s him, he’ll get my support as will any Head Coach who comes in. The bros haven’t let us down yet.
    As for Irish Pete and his comment about the players won’t respect him… tell me Irish, what was LW’s history in football? Released as a youth team footballer, a failed Swindon tenure and a few assistant / academy jobs. I’ve said before and I’ll say again, past performance is not a barometer of future success.
    I’d rather have a 40 year old with something to learn and prove than some 60 year old who won a promotion 10 years ago but has had 5 clubs since. But that’s just me.

Maynard now 1/6 to on.
    Maybe MKD fans felt the same about Mike Williamson coming from lowly Gateshead and yet he’s got a 60% win rate now with them and flew up the table. I can remember some fans not happy when his name was touted to us start of last season. It doesn’t matter where they come from it’s how good they are and what they have done with the resources they have.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    If the new coach is respectful to the players then there should be no reason they should not respect them regardless of whether they have played the game or not. Likewise IB and LW hadn’t played at the level of those three had.

There are plenty of coaches out there who are very good coaches who have not played the game professionally. Having played the game and coaching it are two completely different skill sets.

There will also be plenty of coaches out there who are very good who we will never have heard of.

I don’t know anything about Stuart Maynard but if he is a part time coach who has managed to keep a part time team in the National League then he must have done something right. It then begs the question if he worked full time and had full time players what could he achieve?

At the end of the day for me it’s got to be a manager who fits the club. Someone who is prepared to buy into the way it’s run and the way we play. I do think someone who coaches at a premier league or championship club or a club abroad who play a similar style to us and who is looking to make the step to being a head coach would be ideal. The reason being is that the way we play is suited to a higher level and they will have been coaching players to play in such a way.

Any prospective head coach will have seen both Ian Burchnall and Luke Williams move up two levels so it’s an attractive prospect for a young hungry and ambitious coach. Therefore I would like to think the club should have some good applicants to choose from.
    Good post.

I think the owners have earned the right to have their judgement respected when it comes to a new head coach.

I live near Lincoln, their part time PE teacher didn’t turn out too badly for them.

Page 52 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast