+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Electric Cars.

Electric Cars.

My car is over 4 years old and a 4 x 4 petrol hybrid.

Electric range is only around 13 miles but it pretty much gets me to work and back.

It looks like hydrogen cars are going to start appearing in the next 3-4 years and my particular model is muted to be the first one launched.

I can’t make up my mind whether to change yo their newer hybrid that does 42-54 miles on electric.......go for the sportier petrol model or just sit tight for another 3-4 years and help save the planet by emitting water by using hydrogen.

What’s everyone else doing at the moment?

I wouldn't buy pure electric just yet due to a very poor infrastructure for starters. They are kind of ok for very local journeys where you charge your car at home overnight. Calling at a motorway service station the other day and saw all 6 charging points were covered up with signs saying out of order which is not uncommon.

Personally i will still do petrol for now and am looking to upgrade my current (ah) car to another petrol SUV. So for now I'd wait another 4 years and see how the land lies then.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    My car is over 4 years old and a 4 x 4 petrol hybrid.

Electric range is only around 13 miles but it pretty much gets me to work and back.

It looks like hydrogen cars are going to start appearing in the next 3-4 years and my particular model is muted to be the first one launched.

I can’t make up my mind whether to change yo their newer hybrid that does 42-54 miles on electric.......go for the sportier petrol model or just sit tight for another 3-4 years and help save the planet by emitting water by using hydrogen.

What’s everyone else doing at the moment?
    A 4-year-old BMW - 535 d A Touring xDrive M- sport - and, most likely, upgrade to another diesel.

Mine due for renewal in 18 months. PHEV is my choice if it was right now. 2022 who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    I wouldn't buy pure electric just yet due to a very poor infrastructure for starters. They are kind of ok for very local journeys where you charge your car at home overnight. Calling at a motorway service station the other day and saw all 6 charging points were covered up with signs saying out of order which is not uncommon.

Personally i will still do petrol for now and am looking to upgrade my current (ah) car to another petrol SUV. So for now I'd wait another 4 years and see how the land lies then.
    As I said,for me even my paltry 13-14 mile range gets me into work and back and makes for very cheap driving.

I’m trying to be “green” but I’d be interested if anyone knows if this is a case of being blinded by the science?

Is the mining of the lithium and the production of the battery and the production of the electricity itself just as dirty as the use of petrol?

I’d be interested if anyone has a steer on this?

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    As I said,for me even my paltry 13-14 mile range gets me into work and back and makes for very cheap driving.

I’m trying to be “green” but I’d be interested if anyone knows if this is a case of being blinded by the science?

Is the mining of the lithium and the production of the battery and the production of the electricity itself just as dirty as the use of petrol?

I’d be interested if anyone has a steer on this?
    Seriously,mate,don't lose any sleep over being green...just read this http://www.wired.com/story/china-is-...w-coal-plants/

I’d say do what I’m doing waiting for the chips to fall
    Politics n all sorts will be involved

It’s not always the best solution that wins look at Betamax and VHS (Did you ever think you’d hear that said again)

I’d say sit on it for a couple of years and see what happens
    I’m still on a pure diesel

Read an article about lithium mining about six years ago now. I specifically remember the time frame as some smart @rse at work was gabbling on about his next car and how good it would be for the environment if everyone changed from fossil fuels. Basically I pointed out that lithium mining and the chemical cocktails used to extract lithium are highly toxic and can seriously damage both local water tables and the wider environment. Lithium extraction was utterly filthy back then. No idea whether methods have changed but I doubt it. What's gained on one hand is largely taken away by the other. It's worth bearing in mind the array of technologies which are largely dependent on lithium extraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post
    Read an article about lithium mining about six years ago now. I specifically remember the time frame as some smart @rse at work was gabbling on about his next car and how good it would be for the environment if everyone changed from fossil fuels. Basically I pointed out that lithium mining and the chemical cocktails used to extract lithium are highly toxic and can seriously damage both local water tables and the wider environment. Lithium extraction was utterly filthy back then. No idea whether methods have changed but I doubt it. What's gained on one hand is largely taken away by the other. It's worth bearing in mind the array of technologies which are largely dependent on lithium extraction.
    Read an article a while ago about an extremely noxious material used in wind farms that was many 1000's times more harmful to the environment than CO2.

I try to be responsible in my own small way but there are no easy options.

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    read an article a while ago about an extremely noxious material used in wind farms that was many 1000's times more harmful to the environment than co2.

I try to be responsible in my own small way but there are no easy options.
    sf6.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)