+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 20 of 34 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T 48,000 illegal immigrants housed in mainly 4 star UK hotels

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoo View Post
    Rules of the Dublin Regulation still apply during the withdrawal period.

Other treaties still exist with France.

Why ask Bill these questions? He probably wants laws to reduce immigration significantly.

He and probably a large percentage of the electorate think the UK is a soft touch.

If that not a reasonable view?

If it isn’t, it seems our politicians are not getting the message through.
    By what comparison is Britain considered a soft touch? How do these guys coming over on rafts work that out.

Did we ever find out whether 48,000 illegal immigrants are mainly being housed in 4 star hotels?

What Id like to know are the circumstances under which it was decided to use hotels for accommodation? It sounds short term plan. Maybe the usual hostels were considered unsafe due to covid and did it to avoid a bigger catastrophe and cost.* I dont know. Farage gives no broader information.

That said we have a duty under international law to offer a safe haven for refugees. Rather than it being a national disgrace I think its to our credit that we act reasonably and properly. This is by contrast to Australia who use their navy to tow refugee boat back into international waters or lock them up on remote inhospitable islands. The duty of the navy under international law is to ensure safety of refugees not expose them to more danger.

Turkey housed 2m Syrian refugees giving them accommodation, food, health care and education for the kids. Many in the UK begrudge them basic human decency. Lets hope politicians dont get the message.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    You went to the trouble of replying on behalf of Bill so I assume you're in agreement with him and the 'large proportion of the population' that think we are a soft touch. So as you did this, I am asking you, although Bill welcome to reply.
    I didn't answer on behalf of Bill at all. Wanchai's post isn't accurate in my opinion but don't let that get in the way.

You can throw as many numbers around as you like but all you are doing is making comparisons. What you deem as robust could justifiably be soft in someone else's opinion. Do you think it's all sweetness and light in France and Germany? I speak to people regularly, in both countries. Some of the stuff I read on here is tame by comparison to some of bile they come out with..

Immigration sways a lot of votes.

What do you think the consensus is about immigration? Do you you think all the recent protests have hardened views or softened them? Not every UK citizen who has concerns about the subject is a fruitcake.

I think a large section of the population do think we're soft. I also believe a significant % of these people are most likely to change the X on their ballot papers. Should we patronise them or respectfully educate them? There's far too much blame apportioned to people who have brought up all their lives with certain beliefs and ideals. It seems we can make massive concessions for certain groups (who are just as bigoted) but for others it's zero acceptance and constant baiting.

In the last 5 years, 40/50% of people recruited in companies I've managed don't have UK passports. They are people who have come to this country to work and make a better life for themselves. Two in particular, don't have a good word for their fellow countrymen and believe a large proportion of legal/illegal immigrants are coming here to commit crime, exploit vulnerable people and abuse the system.

I'll tell them that Ragingpup knows better and I have advised them who to contact, if they need any answers to any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoo View Post
    I didn't answer on behalf of Bill at all. Wanchai's post isn't accurate in my opinion but don't let that get in the way.
    What is inaccurate about saying we lose our rights under EU Treaties now we have left the EU?

Your seem to imply the Dublin Agreement is to our benefit (which I'd agree). What happens after 1st Jan 2021?

Le Tourquet isnt and EU agreement so could remain after 1st Jan. Agree with you on this.

Just out of interest, Wan, can you tell me which provision within the Dublin Regulations provides that EU countries have the right the return a refugees to the first point of entry? Just the Chapter number will do.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    Just out of interest, Wan, can you tell me which provision within the Dublin Regulations provides that EU countries have the right the return a refugees to the first point of entry? Just the Chapter number will do.
    Lol. I only read reports of details in the press. You read through it and let me know if Ive got it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    Just add to that I think there is a legal ruling in the UK that says we dont have that right (to return refugees to the point of entry).

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    Lol. I only read reports of details in the press. You read through it and let me know if Ive got it wrong.
    I have done and you are.

So that's it then , Send all the asylum seekers back and this country can prosper again. Wow! It was as simple as that...but then who will we scapegoat then if we don't? I could guess though...

Page 20 of 34 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast