+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 24-25 retained list

24-25 retained list

Thoughts, or wait until after Wembley?

Wait till after Wembley. If we win on Sunday, it'll be a whole different ball game. Will need at least half a new team. We wouldn't survive on such a thin squad in League 1.

Pick ourselves up and plan for 24-25

At least 7 new players needed. A goalkeeper (at least as back up); a LB (as I believe Rio will get a better offer); a CH; 2 experienced midfielders; at least 3 new strikers (as Nev will probably get a better offer and I can't see the other 2 being retained). Which of those will sign and which loaned I don't know but we haven't got enough coming through the academy.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    At least 7 new players needed. A goalkeeper (at least as back up); a LB (as I believe Rio will get a better offer); a CH; 2 experienced midfielders; at least 3 new strikers (as Nev will probably get a better offer and I can't see the other 2 being retained). Which of those will sign and which loaned I don't know but we haven't got enough coming through the academy.
    I think would stay but we need to give him more but how much I don't know. Up to LB how he spreads the cash

No great surprises in the retained list. The only point of interest is how many of the five offered new terms will accept. Not sure any of them will, to be honest!

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    No great surprises in the retained list. The only point of interest is how many of the five offered new terms will accept. Not sure any of them will, to be honest!
    Nor me - unless Chris Long is unsure of another offer, or Luke Offord is stymied for this year by being out of action. Rumours of Nev to Shrewsbury? Have heard none about CBR or Rio, who got a lot of praise on Sky commentary, in first half at least. A lot may depend on what deadline Lee feels he needs to set them all.

Of the loanees, Rowe is now a free agent, (like Stryjek), but Leigh has been offered a new deal by Preston, who I thought were going to release him.

Released - Charlie Kirk never showed enough to get an offer really, bit sad for Woodcock, another striker bites the dust without featuring for first team - we never seem to have another Ashton or Hulse or Maynard (or even a pale imitation) coming through.

By my reckoning, it's 10 under contract, 1 under options, + 5 x offered terms. On the folk released no arguments, Kirk did not do enough, Billy was out of favor, Colkett had injuries, Zac could not comment, and Max, again not seen enough to comment.
    Offered terms, I think Luke, will stay (unsure who would take a chance with the injury), as for the three up front, my thoughts are we are lucky to keep 2, probably 1. Elliot, done enough to move on. Rio unsure.
    So on the loanees, Defense, Ed, I liked, but possibly too good at Div 2 level, in goal, Max, I like but again, can we offer him a slot? But desperate is 2x midfield, mid-to-end career players to complement the young players we have. 26-28 first-team squad should be sufficient if not the injury's we had this term.
    Thoughts

last point, if you think we have issues, I see Crawley Town, has all players out of contract end of June 2024, with only 2-3 on a possible 1 x year extension!!!!!

I think as early as the beginning of the season we were hearing rumours that it was Offord's intent to move on. Whether the injury has changed his perspective, we'll have to wait and see. Whatever, when it's pointed out that we only have 11 in contract plus 2 1st year professionals, then my suggestion of 7 new players is nowhere near enough. Maybe that should be 7 + 4/5 loanees!.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast