+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 75 of 235 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125175 ... LastLast

Thread: Every day the vaccine rolls out

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamsof83 View Post
    Common cold is most classically a rhinovirus. Highly prevalent but not something that is dangerous. Low level exposure throughout life builds immunity. Only extremely frail would be likely to come to any harm

Flu is an influenza virus. Behaves quite differently with frequent alterations. Degree of cross immunity that we hold, but these shifts in structure create "new" challenges and predictable flu seasons. Can cause pandemic if there is a large antigenic shift and becomes in effect "very new" to all humans. Vaccination one of the best developments in recent years to help against impact. Because the virus alters and therefore immunity not maintained disproportionately impacts those with least innate immunity- older/frailer despite being carried most commonly by younger people. Hence vaccinating children tobreduce prevalence is a desirable approach.

Coronaviruses are subtly different to both these. You have little cross immunity to different coronaviruses and as such they all present as brand new. Each coronavirus has varying severity. The perfect virus to create pandemic. Vaccination is the only answer really. Previous coronaviruses (SARS/MERS etc. were not as successful due to their innate properties and short incubation periods)
    Absolutely amazing that the biotechnology has delivered these vaccines as quickly and even better that process can be reproduced for any future coronavirus threats.

They are all the same though in how they are spread. Droplets and aerosol spread so
    contact and distance precautions against one help against all of these.

Ultimately subtly different but essentially the same!
    A very well written post DO83, take it you're no a brickie or anything along those lines mate

Quote Originally Posted by GFLower View Post
    A bit like saying I've crossed the road for over a year and not been knocked down. Lucky so far I'd say.
    how is it like crossing a road?

Quote Originally Posted by offshore_arab83 View Post
    how is it like crossing a road?
    Exactly. Surely the same would be "I've not crossed a road for a year and haven't been knocked down", with the idea of things you have done to prevent being knocked down (not crossing roads) have cut down the risk of being knocked down. Just like lockdown and social distancing have cut down the risk of catching colds/flu

Quote Originally Posted by BackRowArab View Post
    Exactly. Surely the same would be "I've not crossed a road for a year and haven't been knocked down", with the idea of things you have done to prevent being knocked down (not crossing roads) have cut down the risk of being knocked down. Just like lockdown and social distancing have cut down the risk of catching colds/flu
    agreed, and its not often that happens lol

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    Looks like no Euros at Hampden then.............

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56250120
    So they are advocating that fans, probably from many countries around Europe are allowed into stadiums when many countries around Europe do not have vaccination programmes up and running yet!

Countries around the world look to me like they will be insisting on Vaccine Passports, so are they making threats from European countries when their own officials might not be permitted to travel?

Quote Originally Posted by offshore_arab83 View Post
    A very well written post DO83, take it you're no a brickie or anything along those lines mate
    Can guarantee you would not want me building anything! Was hopeless enough in a wall on a football pitch (too pretty obviously) never mind creating any actual structure.

Day job does give me a bit of understanding although until the last year would not credit myself with particularly deep knowledge of viruses.

My colleague did however give a lecture where he described Rhinovirus as being like the Dees - never a meaningful threat. Influenza like the old firm - a yearly problem best kept away from your granny. Coronavirus being like Ann Budge - intermittently a nuisance that causes great heartache and ultimately something everyone hopes will disappear.

Obviously for real expertise, on any subject, would advise checking out the Funster boards though (official professional disclaimer)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamsof83 View Post
    Can guarantee you would not want me building anything! Was hopeless enough in a wall on a football pitch (too pretty obviously) never mind creating any actual structure.

Day job does give me a bit of understanding although until the last year would not credit myself with particularly deep knowledge of viruses.

My colleague did however give a lecture where he described Rhinovirus as being like the Dees - never a meaningful threat. Influenza like the old firm - a yearly problem best kept away from your granny. Coronavirus being like Ann Budge - intermittently a nuisance that causes great heartache and ultimately something everyone hopes will disappear.

Obviously for real expertise, on any subject, would advise checking out the Funster boards though (official professional disclaimer)
    Post of the week this

Quote Originally Posted by AraBrian View Post
    I have crossed roads for the last 60 years and not been knocked down think has more to do with paying attention than luck to be honest.
    😂😂😂😂😂😂

Nice one Brian!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post
    So they are advocating that fans, probably from many countries around Europe are allowed into stadiums when many countries around Europe do not have vaccination programmes up and running yet!

Countries around the world look to me like they will be insisting on Vaccine Passports, so are they making threats from European countries when their own officials might not be permitted to travel?
    Cases rising across Europe again.WHO raising concerns. Could see tournament being in trouble. If Scotland playing a bit safe England could be single host. Though can't see overseas fans being encouraged.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamsof83 View Post
    can guarantee you would not want me building anything! Was hopeless enough in a wall on a football pitch (too pretty obviously) never mind creating any actual structure.

My colleague did however give a lecture where he described rhinovirus as being like the dees - never a meaningful threat. Influenza like the old firm - a yearly problem best kept away from your granny. Coronavirus being like ann budge - intermittently a nuisance that causes great heartache and ultimately something everyone hopes will disappear.

Obviously for real expertise, on any subject, would advise checking out the funster boards though (official professional disclaimer)
    hahaha brilliant hahaha!!!

Page 75 of 235 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125175 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)