+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Hornets v Clarets Match Preview.

Hornets v Clarets Match Preview.

Hornets v Clarets Match Preview.
    Vicarage Road, Watford, WD18 0ER.
    Kick-off 20.00 Friday 12th August 2022.
    Available on SKY Sports from 19.00.

Luton Town have been and departed with a valuable away point and reminded Clarets’ fans that for all the excitement about Kompany’s new signings, Burnley “old-boys” Roberts, Taylor, Cork, and Brownhill still looked the real deal in a hard-fought encounter with the Hatters.

Prior to the Clarets away game at Vicarage Road, it’s worth mentioning young loanees Taylor Bellis-Harwood and Ian Maatsen are two wonderful prospects, I seriously hope plans are in progress to make the loans permanent, that really would be a serious statement of intent from “Project Kompany”.

I suspect the Barnfield training ground will be a hive of activity this week as Kompany attempts to fully integrate the likes of Benson, Costelloe, and Bastien into a cohesive attacking force while simultaneously working how to defend set pieces. Rob Edwards the Hornets manager will have no doubt spotted the Clarets’ new look defence appear vulnerable to “air bombs” following the Luton encounter.

Watford host Burnley on the back of a well-earned but probably undeserved Monday night point at the Hawthorns. Steve Bruce’s West Bromwich Albion had more than enough chances to comfortably win the game. The profligate Karlan Grant missed a host of golden chances for the Baggies. A moment of genius from Ismaili Sarr gave the Hornets the lead with a 12th minute 60-yard screamer but then somewhat blotted his copybook by later missing a 73rd minute penalty.

One’s to watch: Watford’s Ismaili Sarr & Emmanuel Dennis and Burnley’s Manuel Benson and Ian Maatsen.

Verdict: The Hornets always prove to be a big, awkward, and well drilled outfit which for me just about sums up most Championship teams. Kompany has got his team playing the ball on the deck rather than in the air. A draw seems to be the natural conclusion to this game.

Footnote: Former Burnley & Watford manager Sean Dyche will no doubt be in the stands watching his former charges. A lot has changed at Turf Moor and Vicarage Road since he left the manager’s hot seat at both clubs. Friday night’s protagonists joined Norwich City through the EPL trapdoor in May and both teams will be desperate not to lose this fixture and look to collect points to mount the road back to the promised land of the EPL’s milk and honey.

Attachment 22321

Good Preview BT. Watford have kept key forward players Sarr and Dennis and they will prove a handful for our new defensive unit. I think we will struggle to turn possession into goals until we add another striker.

Quote Originally Posted by outwoodclaret View Post
    Good Preview BT. Watford have kept key forward players Sarr and Dennis and they will prove a handful for our new defensive unit. I think we will struggle to turn possession into goals until we add another striker.
    We have Twine and Jay out injured, which is causing us serious problems. We had 40 minutes to win the game against Luton, but the only attacking option Vinni had on the bench was Vitinho, a full-back. We've brought a lot of players in, but as Vinni keeps saying, we're still well short of full strength. Vinni now has the same problem, but for different reasons, that Sean had when trying to change the course of a game in the 2nd half, he doesn't have the players on the bench who can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post

Vinni now has the same problem, but for different reasons, that Sean had when trying to change the course of a game in the 2nd half, he doesn't have the players on the bench who can do it.
    We have not had players that can change the course of a game for a while Sinkov.At least our midfield is looking better with the addition of Cullen.Up front we are very lightweight.

We have Twine and Jay out injured, which is causing us serious problems. We had 40 minutes to win the game against Luton, but the only attacking option Vinni had on the bench was Vitinho, a full-back. We've brought a lot of players in, but as Vinni keeps saying, we're still well short of full strength. Vinni now has the same problem, but for different reasons, that Sean had when trying to change the course of a game in the 2nd half, he doesn't have the players on the bench who can do it.
    I sincerely hope Alan Pace will allow Vinny to address this problem mon ami, quite frankly I cannot see him not doing so.

It is easy talking about fixing it, but finding strikers is so difficult and they are expensive, if they are any good. Let’s hope that VK can unearth a gem.

Agreed Sinkov the only difference for
    Me being VK did try and change it whereas Dyche wouldn’t have.

Quote Originally Posted by army88 View Post
    Agreed Sinkov the only difference for
    Me being VK did try and change it whereas Dyche wouldn’t have.
    He brought a full-back on army, I notice the kids were left warming their backsides on the bench for all of the second half, just like they would have done with Sean in charge. But I'm not knocking Vinni, you can only play the cards you're dealt.

He brought a full-back on army, I notice the kids were left warming their backsides on the bench for all of the second half, just like they would have done with Sean in charge. But I'm not knocking Vinni, you can only play the cards you're dealt.
    In fairness sinkov, Vinny's had just over a month to sort out half a decade's neglect. I believe he's on the right track.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    In fairness sinkov, Vinny's had just over a month to sort out half a decade's neglect. I believe he's on the right track.
    I'm in agreement mon ami, as I said, I'm not knocking Vinni, given the circumstances I think he's doing a brilliant job. I am well happy with the way it's going.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)