+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Formation

Formation

I know this has been talked about quite a lot through the season. But now we are done, I'm looking at the players we could have left, and the weaknesses we have in the team and I still feel like 3-5-2 isn't the best option for us, especially in the tougher games.

If we keep most of the current squad we still won't have decent enough wing backs. Chicksen is a great player, but not the best attacking threat. God knows what has happened to Taylor? On the right we now have DKE.

So I feel that 4 at the back would best utilise what we have. Chicks-Cam-Lacey-Brinds/DKE. Added to the fact that Chicks & Brinds are not the tallest, so playing them more centrally can leave us vulnerable to balls into the box and set pieces.

Into midfield, Palmer has done very well for us this year. He competes well, good on the ball, great delivery, and always gives an option. But then again he's not the biggest. I really feel like we need a combative and dynamic partner next to him to help cover defence, and provide more thrust going forward. We still seem to get overrun in midfield against the more aggressive teams.

Up front we seem to have things pretty sorted, I just feel like the defence & midfield needed tweaking slightly to reduce our vulnerabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltySeaDog View Post
    I know this has been talked about quite a lot through the season. But now we are done, I'm looking at the players we could have left, and the weaknesses we have in the team and I still feel like 3-5-2 isn't the best option for us, especially in the tougher games.

If we keep most of the current squad we still won't have decent enough wing backs. Chicksen is a great player, but not the best attacking threat. God knows what has happened to Taylor? On the right we now have DKE.

So I feel that 4 at the back would best utilise what we have. Chicks-Cam-Lacey-Brinds/DKE. Added to the fact that Chicks & Brinds are not the tallest, so playing them more centrally can leave us vulnerable to balls into the box and set pieces.

Into midfield, Palmer has done very well for us this year. He competes well, good on the ball, great delivery, and always gives an option. But then again he's not the biggest. I really feel like we need a combative and dynamic partner next to him to help cover defence, and provide more thrust going forward. We still seem to get overrun in midfield against the more aggressive teams.

Up front we seem to have things pretty sorted, I just feel like the defence & midfield needed tweaking slightly to reduce our vulnerabilities.
    You're absolutely right. We cannot try another season playing a wing-back system without any actual wing-backs

We are basically using 5-3-2 to cover for the fact we don't have a dominant midfielder in the shape of a Bishop/Turner/Yates. Put in a beast with physical presence next to Palmer and you can then unleash actual wingers, play Roberts in his best position and make use of Nemane whilst keeping 4 at the back. Until we sort that issue, we are left playing a system that both nullifies our players natural talent and doesn't suit our squad