+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: O/T. Sunak...third time lucky, or Mission Impossible?

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    what about from a Christian perspective?
    Men of the cloth give their view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3KV2K1XBj8
    Yeah, let's stone a few wrongdoers. Ban abortion. Force people to live by writings they don't believe in.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Yeah, let's stone a few wrongdoers. Ban abortion. Force people to live by writings they don't believe in.
    Actually, I was quite surprised. I expected a Justin Welby type rant, where everyone was going to be given a Porsche and apartment overlooking the Thames, to affirm our humanity.

Actually, I was quite surprised. I expected a Justin Welby type rant, where everyone was going to be given a Porsche and apartment overlooking the Thames, to affirm our humanity.
    There’s an interesting theological discussion going on around ‘the paradox of tolerance’ which challenges the welbyesque stance, arguing that a society that is at all times tolerant just gets shat on

It's not in my view that much of a paradox. There is a sector in any society that will seek to take advantage of the generosity or tolerance of others to their own benefit. Eg those who chose not to work or contribute to society (I don't mean cannot work, but chose not to), thieves and burglars etc. It's endemic in any society, and the more it's encouraged the more it grows. It's nothing to do with incomers, it's just human nature that you'll have a few wrong uns. There are those who will exploit the "Christian values" and nick the lead of the church roof. Then again there are those that exploit low paid workers in sweat shops. Neither is acceptable and any sane society should demonise all such.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    It's not in my view that much of a paradox. There is a sector in any society that will seek to take advantage of the generosity or tolerance of others to their own benefit. Eg those who chose not to work or contribute to society (I don't mean cannot work, but chose not to), thieves and burglars etc. It's endemic in any society, and the more it's encouraged the more it grows. It's nothing to do with incomers, it's just human nature that you'll have a few wrong uns. There are those who will exploit the "Christian values" and nick the lead of the church roof. Then again there are those that exploit low paid workers in sweat shops. Neither is acceptable and any sane society should demonise all such.
    I agree with all that apart from (and this word caused a spat a few years ago but hey ho) I’d say ‘tolerated’ rather than ‘encouraged’, unless you meant that anyway. My observation was more about ‘my’ religion getting shat on for its tolerance of other religions but your point is valid too

I suppose that depends which your religion is - or which branch of it. Some religions seem more tolerant of others - eg Buddhists fairly laissez faire, Catholicism, Judaism and elements of Islam less so. But hey lets not get into a comparative religion debate and chew up more of rA's same old same old new thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    lets not get into a comparative religion debate
    Good call, tends to cause more aggro even than debates on politics

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Good call, tends to cause more aggro even than debates on politics
    Fine, but what about my hydrangeas you tossers?
    Does no one care on this forum about the important things in life?

Just eat a few prunes.... you'll soon forget all about the hydrangeas.

I think they are a bit past saving

Name:  hydrangea-macrophylla-bush-flower-dead-heads-deadheads-in-an-english-garden-T04NP3.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  103.1 KB

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)