+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do we practice penalty taking?

re: Do we practice penalty taking?

Its like ground hog day watching the Miller's at home, create chance after chance,and should be out of sight at the interval,only to come out second half,and be nothing like the team that played 1st half,the striker debate as been done to death,but how desperate we are for one,i hope Steve addresses the situation before our next game,plus we need a centre half with some pace also.On the penalty situation,we have just seen what are probably the worst two attempts we are likely to see, and they have cost us dear in the last couple of games,who would be a football fan eh,looking like another sleepless night again,oh well at least we have got 10 days to get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Corner
    Obviously not!!

Just a thought but why doesn't Revell take them?

A good point IMHO.

Clearly not.

Tavernier wanted to take it but o'connor took the ball

Top scorer takes it everytime for me, perfect chance for Agard to correct the wrong from Vale Park and smack one in. Just because he misses one (it happens) doesn't mean he comes off pen duty. Scored a super pen against Coventry in the reverse fixture too.

Absolutely crackers.

I don't think Agard has the power to take pens, one that went in was lucky, no power behind it same with last one he missed ,no power again.

Frecks or Tav should take them

You can practice penalties all day long on the training field but nothing can prepare you for taking one in the 90th minute, it's all about confidence and bottle.

I would have liked to ave seen Agard step up as he's a confident young man. O Connor seemed confident but I would alway blam in down the middle. Easy saying that now but I don't know a keeper that would stand there and not move with the last kick of the game.

I think the notion that every penalty should be scored is an insult to the skill of goalkeepers.

It's similar in a way to the notion that in a one on one situation the striker has the advantage and should score. It's surprising how many believe this.

Their keeper had a fantastic game. In the first half he was outstanding pulling off about 4 excellent saves. His confidence was high. When we were awarded the pen I was delighted but incredibly tense because of the high stakes and the performance of their keeper, plus the fact that we missed one 2 days ago. I was happy to see a senior player of some bottle and drive pick up the ball. I expected it to go to someone other than Agard. I fully expected him to go for power and drive it hard. With placement to the side if the keeper guesses right he has a good chance unless it's struck with power. I think the moment was incredibly tense and on another day O'Connor would have found the bottom corner.

I took penalties at schoolboy representativ

Typical over-reaction. Prior to Sunday, we hadn't missed a single spot kick for at least 18 months, and that's with FOUR different takers.

If not Agard, it should have been Frecklington, who scored the pressure pen against Bradford.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12