+ Visit Portsmouth FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Now that was better.

Now that was better.

Banging on as I usually do about lack of fitness, skill, tackling, commitment, co-operation and forward thinking in the Pompey performances, I think it only fair to give credit where credit is due.

This was a much better performance all round from individuals and Pompey as a cohesive unit (fairly important I think you will agree in team games). The fact that we did not emerge as victors @ Sarfend should NOT deflect the team from taking this as a positive step in the right direction; for this alone we thank our new Manager RB.

Football is all about scoring and not conceding goals. We were undone by a wicked deflection and a hopeful punt that took a swerve as it was caught by the wind. You could argue that the player should not have been given the opportunity to shoot, but that would surely be a tad unkind bearing in mind the weather and stressful playing conditions.

What was encouraging was the inter-passing and the willingness for most of the players to become "involved" - my word f

re: Now that was better.

Glad that I am we apparently played much better,the weather conditions should be taken into account.We were on top when Southend playing against a howling gale.
    The game stats showed Southend had more possession,an equal number of shots.
    Anyway luck or not,if we don't take our chances and the opponents do...we will continue to lose.
    One swallow doesn't make a summer,and now the expectations are for a great performance Saturday.If heaven forbid we lose,questions will be asked, as nothing will have changed since Guy was sacked(incidently after losing to S****horpe and just look where they are in the league now under a new manager).

Injury problems are mounting. Holmes suffered suspected concussion, Wallace injured his ankle. Urgent reinforcements are required, RB says. Don't panic Captain Mainwaring

We still have Ertl fit and raring to go...drop him at your peril

You are absolutely right, Scou, one game does not prove or indeed disprove anything.

That is why I applied my SMARTER criteria: give praise where credit is due for improving in some areas, and then evaluate the specific/overall match performance to set revised targets and subsequently re-evaluate again later.

I don't know what other fans think, but I am noticing that some of our players are quite thick around the waist, and yet others are not good at accelerating forwards, nor running backwards, nor passing/kicking with their non-preferred foot. These are areas that need work on as well as skills, motivation, etc.

I know Rome wasn't built in a day.

But, there again, I wasn't on that job, was I?

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)