+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4-2-3-1 - simply doesn't work!!

4-2-3-1 - simply doesn't work!!

If we needed any further confirmation that this predictable and rigid formation simply doesn't work for us then we got it in spades at Hamilton in the first half. We were simply awful in that period and despite having 5 players in midfield we were chasing shadows and could have been several goals down in that spell.

The back four was all over the place for most of the game and the exclusion of Holt was mystifying. Possible explanations include injury, illness and some rumoured interest from St Johnstone but if he was fit enough for the bench then why was he unable to start. A very poor decision in my view and we once again saw a good central defender in Higgins being played out of position. Not quite sure what exactly was wrong with the Durnan/Higgins partnership in central defence but it seems to have been dispensed with and we now find Holt dropped into the bargain!!!!

If the Manager cant see that this formation doesn't work then we may find ourselves in trouble. The isolation of o

re: 4-2-3-1 - simply doesn't work!!

Was Higgins back as captain today?

McIntyres motto: if it aint broke change it.

Spot on RJC. A manager who seems determined to get the minimum out of a decent group of players. A real risk of us going down.

Quote Originally Posted by deek5trans
    McIntyres motto: if it aint broke change it.
    But it is broke and has been since day one and it's only McIntyre and his elfs that can't see it

It certainly is now but wasn't broke when he took over

He took over the perfect team. Decent complete squad and newly promoted on a high. A continuation and a couple of extra ''decent'' signings was all that was needed but right from day one he decided things had to change with the formation and dropping key players.

I am never quite sure what formation we adopt. Is it 4-2-3-1; or 4-5-1; or 4-4-1-1; or whatever? However, I don't think the problem lies with the formation but with the players occupying the "2-3", the "5" or the "4-1" positions. With the exceptions of Paton and Russell (when they play to their potential), I don't think the others are good enough at this level. I am particularly disappointed in Dzierzawski, who came to us with such promise, but I have yet to see him make an impact in any game in which he has played. The same may be said about McShane, leaving me mystified as to why Queens have seen fit to extend his contract.

As for Saturday's game, why did McIntyre choose to drop Holt in order to accommodate Dowie? Certainly in the first half, our defence was nothing short of a shambles with Chris Higgins (who, in fairness to him, was being played in an unfamiliar role) caught out of position time and time again. I don't regard Dowie and Durnan any better a pairing than Higgins and D

To drop Kevin holt on the basis of the Cowdenbeath game was a really poor decision. There was a 50 mph wind and I certainly don't remember holt being any poorer than most of his colleagues.

He couldn't have played that badly - Cowdenbeath only created two half chances and yes he lunged in stupidly but that apart he was broadly ok in farcical conditions.

Holt is as close to an automatic pick that we have and if our manager genuinely thinks that Higgins is a better option at left back then that sums it up for me!

I agree with cresswell regarding Kevin - he has been really poor and as I have said before Slattery continues to be overlooked in favour of McShane who is mostly anonymous game after game.

Still think we would do much better with a 4-4-2 with Paton played in a wide position and two up front (one of whom should be Russell).

[quote="Cresswell" positions. With the exceptions of Paton and Russell (when they play to their potential), I don't think the others are good enough at this level. I am particularly disappointed in Dzierzawski, who came to us with such promise, but I have yet to see him make an impact in any game in which he has played. The same may be said about McShane, leaving me mystified as to why Queens have seen fit to extend his contract.

As for Saturday's game, why did McIntyre choose to drop Holt in order to accommodate Dowie? Certainly in the first half, our defence was nothing short of a shambles with Chris Higgins (who, in fairness to him, was being played in an unfamiliar role) caught out of position time and time again. I don't regard Dowie and

We started with the 4-2-3-1 in the 1st half lucky not to be more behind.
    2nd half we went 4-4-2 played much better does that not tell its own story.
    Surely McIntyre has to see that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)