+ Visit Birmingham City FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Roy Warhurst passes away

Roy Warhurst passes away

The Blue destroyer passed away earlier in the week aged 87. Roy who made 239 appearances between 1950-1957 scored ten goals for the club. Most famously he was omitted from the cup final team of 1956 which was considered a major reason for our defeat to Man.City. A combative midfielder whom the fans nicknamed the Blue destroyer. RIP & KRO.

re: Roy Warhurst passes away

A bit before my time but what a great nickname,a good servant to the club though as were all of the players in the 'old' days ,where you had the exact opposite happening , owners of clubs syphoning off the sort of money the players do today.

yep a blues legend ,I just managed to see him play I was 9 or 10 barefoot days KRO

I saw him play according to my dad
    (started going in 1956 aged 6) but I
    don't really remember him.
    My dad was always on about him, mulraney and trig
    my first heros were Harris , bloomfield, Smith Auld and leek
    KRO

Not omitted from the Cup Final team, Gaz, he was injured in the 6th Round 3-1 victory at Arsenal. Replaced by the highly experienced and loyal one club-man Jack Badham but it was he who was omitted from the Wembley line-up. Skipper Len Boyd, who was clearly unfit, switched from right to left on the day and his place was taken by the young and inexperienced reserve centre-half Johnny Newman. Legend has it that manager Arthur Turner was locked out of the dressing-room by the team at half-time! If Warhurst hadn't been injured... If Boyd had been fit... If Badham had played instead of Newman... We will never know.

What we do know is that Roy Warhurst was a key member of the legendary half-back line of Boyd, Smith and Warhurst. Saw them strike fear in the hearts of opposing teams many times, earning the team the unfair nickname of "The Brummie Bashers."

Great days. Great memories. Just leaves Newman, Gordon Astall and Alex Govan from the Wembley line-up. RIP Roy. And thanks.

Yes I remember Roy Warhurst well a real dynamic wing-half and a great clubman as his time at Blues suggests,also the 1956 Cup Final debacle with Len Boyd definately unfit with back troubles and the selection of Johnny Newman instead of Jack Badham and of course Man City and the deep lying centre forward formation that added to Blues problems plus the heavy satin white shirts with a black collar that they complained about afterwards.

I was playing at Moor Green when Jack Badham was Manager and I remember asking him about the event he said he just could'nt believe the decision to leave him out of the team and I could tell it still upset him when he told me about it.Trials and tribulations at Blues appear ongoing RIP Roy.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)