+ Visit Bolton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Freedman aims to trade his way to success with Bolton.

Freedman aims to trade his way to success with Bolton.

BUY low, sell high – Dougie Freedman believes Wanderers have to start adopting better business sense in the transfer market heading into the future.

Despite the club’s finances continuing to come under heavy scrutiny following the announcement of £50.7million losses last year, the Whites boss insists he is still looking at a plan of long-term growth at the Reebok.

While money appears to be tight in the current transfer window, Freedman is looking to add players to his squad for the right price.

Crucially, the Scot is also looking further down the line – something critics of his predecessors point out has not always been the case.

From Johan Elmander and Gretar Steinsson to Marcos Alonso and Sam Ricketts, the big fees that have been frittered away go some way to explaining why debts have mounted up in recent years.

Chairman Phil Gartside has been quoted in the past as saying Wanderers are a “trading club” but, in a call that harked back to the days of Colin Todd at Bolton, Fre

re: Freedman aims to trade his way to success with Bolton.

Great idea by dougie the only problem is we don't have any money to buy cheap.

The thing is Campo, why was he so stupid to come to Bolton considering the state we were in under Coyle.

Gartside must have given him a load of old bull, and he fell for it hook line and sinker.

He did well last season, but that is his problem, he was expected to at least have us in contention this season, rather than being in a relegation scrap.

So at this stage, he is not going to get a decent job in the top two divisions, until he redeems his reputation.

He is talking a good job as usual, time will tell.

I would be more optimistic if some of Coyle's high earners were disappearing during this transfer window!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyJazz64
    I would be more optimistic if some of Coyle's high earners were disappearing during this transfer window!!!
    Which ones jimmy?

Mears, Knight, Eagles, N'Gog plus Pratley, Chungy, Craig Davies and Wheater

I'd be playing Hall, Wilkinson, Vela, Odelusi and a few more from the development squad.

OK, they might not all be Coyle's signings but me one of them that has consistently put a shift in for BWFC and deserves to wear the shirt!!!!

Fk em!!! I'd rather do what Lambert did at Villa and give the kids a go and build something rather than pay money for fk all. We may get battered every now and again but I'd rather see that then a team of no-marks limp to yet another 1-0 or 2-1 loss

I still think Eagles has a future with us jimmy but he needs to keep his level up consistently.

“The chairman has never hidden the debt but he has also never hidden the fact we have got to get into line because of FFP.

“There are other clubs who will have a financial penalty but the message is simple from our point of view: we have a fantastic stadium and training ground, we have a good business with the hotel and education and we have a couple of assets in the team. Of course, we all want to be at the other end of the division. And I promise everyone that we are working very hard to do that.

“But if there are any fans worried about the club right now, look at the team. I haven’t had easy decisions to make.”

Freedman says he is working on a “four or five-year” plan, the first steps of which included the recruitment of Medo Kamara, Jay Spearing and Robert Hall to bring the overall age of the squad down.

And while it might be assuming some degree of stability in a notoriously unstable profession, he is happy to plan for the future.

“I take it for granted I am going to be here

[quote="klassnic"]a??The chairman has never hidden the debt but he has also never hidden the fact we have got to get into line because of FFP.

a??There are other clubs who will have a financial penalty but the message is simple from our point of view: we have a fantastic stadium and training ground, we have a good business with the hotel and education and we have a couple of assets in the team. Of course, we all want to be at the other end of the division. And I promise everyone that we are working very hard to do that.

a??But if there are any fans worried about the club right now, look at the team. I havena??t had easy decisions to make.a??

Freedman says he is working on a a??four or five-yeara?? plan, the first steps of which included the recruitment of Medo Kamara, Jay Spearing and Robert Hall to bring the overall age of the squad down.

And while it might be assuming some degree of stability in a notoriously unstable profession, he is happy to plan fo

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)