+ Visit Portsmouth FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Long term football injuries...

Long term football injuries...

After my little rant about players not being able to take penalties whilst earning stupid money, it got me thinking about injuries

I used to play football three times a week in my ****s, then on a sunday as an adult and never picked up injuries like these so called super fit players do, and i used to play in some right blood and thunder games, and i'd always be fit for the next game as would be the rest of the team i played for, so the question is

What are these professional players doing wrong

re: Long term football injuries...

I think you are being rather simplistic here Steve.

Consider some of these points.

The pace of pro football has increased by massive factors, Players are super fit and playing close to the limit of human endurance. The effect is to put more strain on things like tendons and ligaments.The areas most often cited as football injuries.

The lightweight shoes and shin pads do not offer the same protection as old time toecapped boots and cane lined shin pads. They offer little ankle support leading to many a turned ankle.

Today players are not encouraged to have a pain killing injection to get through games, a practice that lead many an old time player to suffer greatly in later life.

You also have to consider the value of players, no one in his right mind is going to risk playing someone who is worth millions of pounds in transfer fees for the sake of the odd game, They cant afford to take risks, hence players miss more games - just in case.

re: Long term football injuries...

Maybe you answered my question suicde

the boots and shin pads just aren't good enough

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)