+ Visit Scotland Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: RIP Tony Hateley

RIP Tony Hateley

Thoughts with all of his family

- view external link

re: RIP Tony Hateley

I'm a bit of a fan of the old fitba from the 60s/70s & I actually watched a clip on YT not long ago of Tony Hateley scoring with a header for Liverpool - FA Cup v.s Revie's Leeds about 1967 I think it was. He was a prolific header of the ball apparently.

There was a story surrounding his transfer from Chelsea to Liverpool, when Shanks phoned up Tommy Doc, then manager of Chelsea. The conversation allegedly went:

Shanks: Tommy son, how much for the boy Hateley?
    Doc: 100,000 wouldn't buy him Bill.
    Shanks: I know Tommy...I'm one of the ***dred thousand!
    *click*

But Shankly did sign him, for something like A?95,000.

You must have been a good player to play for both Chelsea & Liverpool in Div 1.

RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by IanAberdon
    I'm a bit of a fan of the old fitba from the 60s/70s & I actually watched a clip on YT not long ago of Tony Hateley scoring with a header for Liverpool - FA Cup v.s Revie's Leeds about 1967 I think it was. He was a prolific header of the ball apparently.

There was a story surrounding his transfer from Chelsea to Liverpool, when Shanks phoned up Tommy Doc, then manager of Chelsea. The conversation allegedly went:

Shanks: Tommy son, how much for the boy Hateley?
    Doc: 100,000 wouldn't buy him Bill.
    Shanks: I know Tommy...I'm one of the ***dred thousand!
    *click*

But Shankly did sign him, for something like A?95,000.

You must have been a good player to play for both Chelsea & Liverpool in Div 1.

RIP.

He was with Aston Villa as well scoring 68 goals in 127 games including 4 against Spurs in a 5-5 draw - view external link

not really into the rip threads but this man was a true Notts County legend. a bit before my time but people still talk about him down at Meadow Lane. rip

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)