+ Visit West Ham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how many wins do we need?

re: how many wins do we need?

Quote Originally Posted by jon15u
    agreed, think 38 would be enough, it has been in the past,
    ...Although when we went down in 2010/11 we were bottom with 33 points Birmingham and Blackpool both went down with 39 and Wolves who finished 17th had 40

Quote Originally Posted by BillyDWhizz
    2 wins 2 draws. If we can get anything at Goodison I'd really start to feel uberconfident.
    spoken like a true German

I said months ago that 36 would be enough and I'll stick to that. So many dog eat dog games left for three teams to get more than that, so 5 more points. Four if our goal difference remains good.

Realistically I can see us winning 2 more games, and possibly drawing 2 or 3...but based upon current since from the chelski game, maybe thats not ambitious enough. 40 points would seem to be enough, as the bottom half is so congested.

With a fully fit squad (hope not tempting fate) and options on the bench maybe we should be aiming to ...

Beat at home Hull, Palace and maybe suprise another team (it would be great if we ended Euro spurs ambitions)

Gain a couple of away draws against West Brom, Sunderland and Stoke

Anything else being a bonus and possibly a top 10 finish (or viewed diffeently, top of the bottom half!).

3 maximum, with 2 or 3 draws thrown in.

A few weeks ago I wouldn't have been very confident, but I think we've got a great chance of staying up now and expect us to.

Hopefully we'll be safe before the last two games of the season.

Can't believe any of us are even thinking about the R word. I'd love to be on one of them coaches going up the M1 on Saturday, all singing your bleedin' heads off at Watford Gap. When was the last time you went up to Liverpool expecting to get anything? Think pos FFS !!!!

In 2004-5, West Brom stayed up with 34 points, five behind Pompey on 39. Southampton, Norwich and Palace all went down with 32 and 33 points.

It will be even more congested this year with more than five teams in the mix and none cut so far adrift that more points were needed by the third last team as happened with QPR and Reading last season or indeed us when 42 points wasn't enough under Rodent with Sunderland and West Brom cut adrift.

There will always be an unexpected result like Norwich beating Spuds, but basically there are still about 20 games left between teams lower than us where they'll cut each others' throats.

It's all down to maths really.

Obviously there could still be a really unusual set of results that could be a problem for us if we only got say another 3 points from 11 games, but it's highly unlikely that will happen and thank heavens for February.

I just hope that those results don't happen. This is West Ham after all.

I think we need two but can easily see achieving four. We would need a big nose-dive to look vulnerable, lets face it.

I think the 13 clean sheets, kind of prove, we are quite comfortable defensively, in the league.

The f.uckups in the Capital One and the FA Cup are not relevant; difficult I know, to ignore the 5-0 and 9-0 scorelines. But not relevant in the Prem.

I'm pretty confident fellas, we are not in any danger and nor will we be this season.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)