+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bamford -v- Hughes

Bamford -v- Hughes

Two good young talents with potential but for me Hughes a mile ahead.
    Watched Bamford a couple of time now and his only real strength is ability to score.. Not a bad thing to be good at I grant you. Okay I will cut him some slack as he is playing wide which may not suit him but the rest of his play is average at best.
    Hughes, also stuck out wide when he first broke through, was much more effective when asked to play there. Technically Will is on another plant to Patrick, vision, decision making, strength (yes I did say strength), leadership, self sacrifice (when needed) all well ahead of Bamford.
    We have seen Will can also finish but he does sometime take that extra touch or that extra pass when he gets into dangerous positions. This is something I would like to see him improve on.
    If he gets that right and starts to add some goals to his game then he becomes the real deal as opposed to just a lad with potential.

re: Bamford -v- Hughes

Hughes by a mile. He was excellent yesterday.

completely agree with you angry. bamford needs to improve his all round game if he wants to make it in the prem.

as you quite rightly say though, that ability to score different types of goals is what can't be taught. bamford definitely has the potential to make it as does hughes. both have a long way to go but hughes is ahead. I honestly think hughes would be a revelation in a good premiership side but it's his consistency that he needs to improve, that should come with experience.

Sorry folks Bamford for me,not only is he an out and out striker,he makes his own chances.
    To have a guy like that on the pitch your always in with a chance as he,s proven

Will Hughes is class and should keep getting better,but of the two only one can win you a game when your under the cosh. - view external link

I would say Hughes, even though no one has offered us 500k for him. No one has even offered 250k for Bamford so he must be terrible despite his goal scoring talents.

Seriously though you cannot really compare them. Was Greaves better than Ball? One did ****** all for most of the game then popped up with 2 goals, the other ran and ran and created situations. Owen or Brooking. The list goes on.

There are only a few players that combine both skills and Ronaldo and Messi won't sign for us. It's also why Rooney has just signed his obscene 300k a week deal, to an extent. Creator or Executioner but there aren't many who can do both.

so, flawed question Mr A. Comparing chalk and cheese: I'd sooner eat chalk and write with cheese...

I suppose these questions are always flawed... Ali or Tyson?
    My point I guess that in their development, Hughes seems a tad further on and currently offers more to the team.
    Like I said in the OP if Hughes can add a few more goals we will have our 10 mil player... Bamford has to add more to his all round game. Would a Greaves type player be acceptable in today's multitasking game?

I'd take Ali G over Nathan Tyson any day. Both comedians but Ali G more likely to score, unless he is wearing the lime green mankini.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryRam
    Two good young talents with potential but for me Hughes a mile ahead.
    Watched Bamford a couple of time now and his only real strength is ability to score.. Not a bad thing to be good at I grant you. Okay I will cut him some slack as he is playing wide which may not suit him but the rest of his play is average at best.
    Hughes, also stuck out wide when he first broke through, was much more effective when asked to play there. Technically Will is on another plant to Patrick, vision, decision making, strength (yes I did say strength), leadership, self sacrifice (when needed) all well ahead of Bamford.
    We have seen Will can also finish but he does sometime take that extra touch or that extra pass when he gets into dangerous positions. This is something I would like to see him improve on.
    If he gets that right and starts to add some goals to his game then he becomes the real deal as opposed to just a lad with potential.
    Think both hav

Hughes for me.

I take Roger's point on difficult to compare different players / positions but I just look at who we'd miss the most.

I cannot deny the goals Bamford has got us have been crucial, and have been taken with some style.

But, his overall contribution has been so so and in some cases his mistakes costly. The last couple of home games he has been invisible which you may get away with on occasions but not all the time.
    If we were playing 4-4-2, he'd probably look better but when we rely on the mobility and ball retention of the wide players in a 4-3-3, you need reliability as well as ability.
    We may already have better candidates for the wide role of the 3 than Bamford.
    Seems very harsh to be criticising a player with an approaching 1 in 1 goal record but the OP was Bamford-v-Hughes.

Then think of losing Hughes.
    That would be the creative influence of the team lost and no obvious replacement at the club. Many goals we have scored / chances we've created can be traced to

I know the coach that had Will Hughes from the age of 11 to 16 and he tells me that this lad is the best player he has ever worked with, following decades in the game.

It is Will's ability to make the game look easy at times, his touch, his awareness, his ability to find the right pass that makes him special.

Will keeps things simple, how many times has Will failed to control the ball with his first touch, even when surrounded by opposing players?

Will never hides and makes himself available when others need an outlet. We are now seeing his balance and ability to run with the ball.

How good was that run that led to the free kick on Saturday?

Will works hard for the team when we don't have the ball, covered miles against Sheffield Wed.

Sometimes young players progress and then their progress stalls or even goes in reverse for a while before they can push on again.

Usually managers tend to take young players out of the firing line in those situations, as in the case of Raheem St

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)