+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Etheridge back on loan - now for the comments!

re: Etheridge back on loan - now for the comments!

[quote="Crewe313"]Any young player, in any position, will not take well sorry we are dropping you because its the best for your development. Especially when you are in good form and can hold your own at that level!!! And if they did then I would question there desire to play at the highest possible level. It will do a world of good for his development to play the remainder of this relegation battle. Talking about physchology, young players are more apt to move on from any mistakes. Also what age is then acceptable to play a Goalkeeper as no 1? maybe next year will be to early to?[/qu

we obviously come from different angles on this so lets agree to differ.

If you read my post, I acknowledge that Ben will be disappointed and want to play. However, I think he'll also understand that the club are acting in his best interest if its managed appropriately.

If Benm makes an error in a game that gets us relegated, that may take him some time to recover from at th

Quote Originally Posted by One_Dean_Ashton
    Not sure this sends the correct signal to Ben. Think he's doing a great job for us.
    If Steve has managed it correctly (and I'm sure he has), I really don't see it as a problem.

How about...

'Ben, you've done brilliantly for us... you've really proved that you can perform at this level, and shown that you can be our number one keeper next year.

However, due to the situation that we're in, I think it's best for your development to have a rest. I don't want you to suffer a setback in a crucial game because it could really effect you psychologically in the future.

You will play in all the U21 games and if Eldridge gets injured again or doesn't play as well as you, you'll be straight back in. What I will say is that if you continue to show the type of form that you have done and develop physically, then I'd love you to start next season as our number one.'

Now, if I were Ben, whilst

I think Ben has been great and will be unfortunate to find himself warming the bench again. However, I remember the first time we got to a play off final at Wembley and lost on pens to York City. The fella who missed the crucial penalty, Gareth Whalley, had had a great season but the miss seemed to knock his confidence and it took him most of the following season to get back to where he once was.

Ben must be number one next season though.

Does anyone KNOW if part of the loan states that if fit Etheridge must play as I seem to remember this caveat being in another loan deal for a goalkeeper a couple of years back.

We didn't like it then.

On the subject of Ben v Etheridge, I think that Etheridge will give us a bit more steel at the back and boy that is something we could do with, but I do think that Ben IS good enough to claim the gloves at this level and although he will make mistakes he would not cost us relegation.

Either way SD is the man with the decision and he hasn't got many wrong so far.

Team selection now available and Ben is dropped to the bench. This I cannot really understand, especially considering the lad has done so well for the team in recent weeks. I can only guess that the Fulham keeper has to play if fit, as was the case with the winger we had on loan from their before Xmas. Don't play him and face the penalty of paying his wages. Surprising really, because in today's Sentinel, Steve said he would play the same 11 (barring injuries) that beat the Vale.

The other change is Evans, who is injured. Nolan deputises and Crewe can only 5 subs.

I agree with Mick on this one. If its not broken then don't fix it. If Ben had been playing poorly then fair enough, but i think he has been doing really well and the team is really starting to gel again. The keeper from Fulham has been injured, is he match fit? Surely he should have a couple of res games or at least a few training sessions to make sure he is up to scratch. Very disappointed for Ben and i hope it does not backfire on S D.

Problems with communication with his defenders during this first half according to commentary. I am beginning to wonder why Etheridge is playing tonight, having been out injured for so long and not having played any competitive matches. Moreover, he has not even had the opportunity to train with his new colleagues since before Xmas.

Quote Originally Posted by whosbrianwilson
    Was always going to happen once he was fit.

I'm sure Steve feels that he can't risk the most important 14 games of his life with a very young inexperienced keeper. Ben has done really well, but like any young player learning his trade, he will need taking out of the firing line at some stage.

Just one question. How come a 93 day loan only takes him to mid April? Even if you include the first 30 day loan then he should be with us til the end of April.
    First loan carries forward 45 days (see link below) - presumably we were still clocking up the days when he went back injured.

Therefore Ben (or Steve?) will have to play in the last four games which could be crucial.

Could turn out to be an inspired decision if we're all but safe by the time Etheridge goes back, could come back to bite us if we have to throw Ben (or Steve) back in to a relegation cauldron for the last four games.

You have to trust the manager's judgment I

Quote Originally Posted by alexmick
    Problems with communication with his defenders during this first half according to commentary. I am beginning to wonder why Etheridge is playing tonight, having been out injured for so long and not having played any competitive matches. Moreover, he has not even had the opportunity to train with his new colleagues since before Xmas.
    See my comments on previous post!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Downer
    See my comments on previous post!!![/quote]

Yes, I read them and was agreeing with what you said. I was really referring to the lack of communication with the defenders as mentioned in commentary and just adding the reasons why (which mirrored your points).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast